Roasted swamp ash and Koa top velocity

I've got three warmoth necks in wenge + ziricote combo, it's fairly consistent, ziricote is nicer looking than wenge but pretty much the same shade, and a like ziricote, it has a glassy feeling very similar to ebony but it's more interesting to look at imo.

Tried approaching polishing today with some 6 micron 3M polishing cloth, but the finish still isn't hard enough, I'll have to leave it there at least a week more. Damn tru oil may be easy to apply but it's taking damn long to cure in this weather.

ValeBliz said:
Tried approaching polishing today with some 6 micron 3M polishing cloth, but the finish still isn't hard enough, I'll have to leave it there at least a week more. Damn tru oil may be easy to apply but it's taking damn long to cure in this weather.

Have a look at my post about tung oil finishes in the DIY finishing forum, I had good luck accelerating polymerization with sunlight. I don't know what's in Tru oil, but clearly it polymerizes, so a similar approach may work. Of course use caution and test pieces.

Here it is! I'm quite pleased, there are a couple imperfections and cat hairs in the body finish but overall I'm quite pleased with the result and it's a very natural look i like. Only thing i have to understand is why the center position of the 5 way switch seem to route just the bridge pickup. I went for a 5 way superswitch giving me neck series, neck parallel, both pickups in series but paired in parallel, bridge parallel, bridge series. Everything works fine minus the center position, I'm posting the wiring diagram in the next post.

IMG-20220202-094806.jpg

IMG-20220202-094840.jpg

IMG-20220202-094831.jpg

IMG-20220202-094844.jpg

IMG-20220202-094851.jpg

Btw the neck is completely unplayable without a fret level even with a quite high action, not impressed on a 600$ neck tbh. There's a difference between "we don't do fine fret leveling" and this thing.

Happy to take a look at the wiring diagram when you post it.

Send me a PM if you want any help with the leveling of the frets. (I am based in Belgium).

stratamania said:
Happy to take a look at the wiring diagram when you post it.

Thanks you're always very helpful.
I used the following schematics, probably it's a bad solder somewhere because i find strange every other position work as intended, but I have zero knowledge in circuit schemes so I had to rely on someone else's work for a slightly more complex wiring. I'm glad to have it checked by someone with a clue about the topic.

wd2hh5l11_04__72462.1470694481.jpg

I have a feeling I commented on a similar wiring diagram if not the same one last summer. Let me see if I can find it.

I could not find the earlier thread.

Looking at the diagram (not keen on how GuitarElectronics lays these out) position 3 would not work. The superswitch has 4 poles each with a common marked out on this diagram. However they are using each common or out as an input to help achieve the series parallel options of the humbuckers. In position 3 all that seems to be happening is that each humbucker has north and south finish joined in series. However there is no signal when in position 3 to the volume pot hence why it does not work.

While looking to see if I could edit the diagram it does not look possible based on that diagram for it to work. Will see if I have an alternative.

But in pos 3 in my case some signal does come through, but it's only both coils of the bridge in series. There's absolutely no blend of the neck pickup in the sound, nor a lower output i usually associate with 2 humbuckers paired in parallel.

Moreover, your post makes me question what they mean by neck+bridge series humbucker. The common pos 3 of a LP style wiring have both humbuckers (series of course) wired in parallel, if they join north and south finish in series they are actually adding both pickups in series? Usually you never do this.

ValeBliz said:
But in pos 3 in my case some signal does come through, but it's only the hot from both the cois of the bridge in series. There's absolutely no blend of the neck pickup in the sound, nor a lower output i usually associate with 2 humbuckers paired in parallel.

Possible although it is not a great diagram. Give me a while and I will see if I can post something.

See attachment which should give you the wiring scheme you are looking for.

I don't have access to my normal drawing programme at the moment but I think it should give you a view of what you need at the switch.

Attachments

• Wiring Diagrams-HH.png
    Wiring Diagrams-HH.png
    185.3 KB · Views: 14
ValeBliz said:
Many thanks man, I'm going to try rewire it this evening.

Sure, by the way per an earlier post in the thread when a Les Paul is in the middle position each Humbucker is in series itself and in parallel with the other humbucker which is itself in series.

I used Seymour Duncan colours so if needed adjust to suit whichever pickups you are using if they have different wiring colours.

stratamania said:
Sure, by the way per an earlier post in the thread when a Les Paul is in the middle position each Humbucker is in series itself and in parallel with the other humbucker which is itself in series.

Yup, that's how I knew it too. Btw using a pair of duncans hyperions of an ibanez AZ, so same color coding.

ValeBliz said:
stratamania said:

Yup, that's how I knew it too. Btw using a pair of duncans hyperions of an ibanez AZ, so same color coding.

Okay, let us know how it goes.

Here is an updated diagram of the switch wiring I tidied up a little. It is electrically the same but it should provide a more streamlined approach to the physical layout of the pickup wires.

Attachments

• HH Wiring.png
    HH Wiring.png
    185.8 KB · Views: 12
stratamania said:
Here is an updated diagram of the switch wiring I tidied up a little. It is electrically the same but it should provide a more streamlined approach to the physical layout of the pickup wires.

Thanks!! Didn't manage to do it yesterday, I'll have a go at it during the next few days and report back.

ValeBliz said:
stratamania said:

Thanks!! Didn't manage to do it yesterday, I'll have a go at it during the next few days and report back.

Okay  :icon_thumright:

Checking in because this evening I finally had time to heat up the soldering iron and do your scheme. I think I followed it correctly but either I understood the scheme wrong or something doesn't work as it is supposed to. Right now pos 2 seem to be neck in series, pos 4 sounds like bridge in series (the opposite of what it should be, but this could easily be me mirroing the schematics), while pos 1 and 5 sound more like split than parallel wired humbuckers, but very flimsy and with a lot of volume drop, which didn't happen with the previous scheme. I'm out of my depth tbh.

Back