Roasted Flame Maple + quilt maple top strat! COMPLETE!

JoeA

Hi all,
I'm new around there and I just received the neck of my first Warmoth project.

28008243284_e9f31cdddd_c.jpg

28340819820_3225ebb2e0_c.jpg

Roasted flame maple neck!

The body is ordered, I'm now waiting.
Strat shape, chambered swamp ash with quilt maple top, tigers eye dye finish, HSS rear rout.

It will look killer I think!

I've read somewhere that oiling the neck will enhance the figuring.
What do you think?

That's a very nice neck.
I've got a roasted maple neck myself (a Mustang, ie 24" scale), but it's not a flame one though.
Looking forward to pictures of the body and the build.  :icon_thumright:

Roasted maple does not require a finish. Which is the preferred method for a lot of folks on the forum.

Tru oil added to it will probably enhance it. At the end of the day it's your neck/decision.

Looks a nice piece of maple either way.

one coat of tru oil may make it pop more.  or you can leave it.   
I doubt one coat would build at all and leave the wood feeling natural yet help show of the grain.

I think Tonar oiled a roasted neck.

If you don't need to seal off the neck, which is the case here because it's roasted, I'd go for pure boiled linseed oil, preferably warmed a bit (just warm to the touch, don't put it on fire) so it penetrates better. Virtually no build up, hand rubs to a glass smooth finish and makes any figuring jump out in a downright amazing way. Put on one or two coats and then spend the next the month rubbing. Looks great and it's therapeutic as well.

Thanks for your answers.  :yourock:

I will let the neck unfinished I think. The flame is awesome without oiling and the feel of natural maple is wonderful!

I'll post pictures of the Warmoth body visualization asap.

I've received the pickups: Emg SA + SA + 89 (with split).

I'm wondering about the possibility to put LR Baggs piezo ToM bridge on it, with a dedicated volume knob to mix the acoustic sound with the pickup sound.

Some update around here:
Just received an email, the custom body is shipped and on its way to France  :hello2:

Isn't that just the best news to receive? When it comes to Warmoth stuff anyway.  :icon_thumright:
I'm also waiting for stuff from them ...  :cool01:

That is good news! I'm patiently (?) awaiting a custom body too. It's only been 3 weeks, AAAAAH!!!!

:doh:

Good news. When it arrives, it'll be more beautiful than you expected, too.

The parcel arrived in France! Expecting to receive it during the next week...

Some bad news: parcel blocked at the Customs because of missing bill...
I've got to wait until I receive a mail from the customs and then send them back the bill...

A good friend of mine experienced the exact same thing... Wondering if Warmoth is used to NOT glue the bill on the box before the shipping?  :icon_scratch:

No, they put it inside.

I get a lot of shipments here, and find that 99% of them put the bill inside now. I think shippers have learned that it's not only faster/cheaper to do it that way, there's less chance of it getting lost/mutilated and ending up with a box full of product stuck in limbo in some shipper's warehouse.

Cagey said:
No, they put it inside.

I get a lot of shipments here, and find that 99% of them put the bill inside now. I think shippers have learned that it's not only faster/cheaper to do it that way, there's less chance of it getting lost/mutilated and ending up with a box full of product stuck in limbo in some shipper's warehouse.

So, maybe the Customs should be aware of that and think about a solution instead of keeping the parcel 3 weeks before leting it go lol

I'm not sure how all that works. I know when I ship things overseas, I have to fill out a customs declaration form that lists what I'm shipping and its value. I don't know if that's for us or the destination country's benefit. Then I pay the shipping fee, and wonder if maybe I should be in the shipping business  :laughing7:

From what I've heard, the receiving end may or may not open the parcel and inspect it. Different countries are more or less strict about what you can/can't import/export, how much they feel like punishing you for doing so even if it's legal, and how much they trust self-reported package contents and valuations.

I've had over the years various things sent to me either to the UK or to Europe, but 3 weeks is not a total surprise.

The time can vary from virtually no time at all to longer depending on the luck of the draw in some cases. Sometimes I have had smaller packages arrive and I have had to pay no import fees, and other times they are singled out and you have to do so. On larger items though expect to pay import fees and VAT.

Back