"Road worn"... lame!

hannaugh

Master Member
I think this type of thing is stupid.  It's like paying extra for pre-ripped jeans: 

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/Daily/News/Fender_Road_Worn_Series.aspx

lame dosen't begin to describe it........Are those from the Korea, Japan, or Mexico "Custom Shop"?

kinda reminds me of distressed 'antique" furniture.

Not sure who buys this stuff, but clearly someone does.  It's big business.

I think older guitars look good, but something about buying them new like that is just... wrong.

I'm also not a fan of pre-ripped jeans. All of my pants' rips were put there the natural way. The pair I'm wearing now has one rip from a nail that went through when I was climbing some.

I have jeans with a hole from where a puppy bit me.

But I do not buy pre-holed jeans or pre-distressed guitars.

My car was a piece of crap when I bought it..........but that is because I'm poor!

Well, that's more like buying a used guitar that looks worn. It might be worn. It's fair in that case

mayfly said:
kinda reminds me of distressed 'antique" furniture.

Not sure who buys this stuff, but clearly someone does.  It's big business.
So is worn out ripped up jeans in Japan. There's places around that pay good money for used trashed out jeans, then they sell them overseas...But I agree, if it's beat up I want it to be because I beat it up... :laughing7:

I have to say, that I actually like the look of 'worn' guitars. 
I dont know if I agree with the whole relic 'road worn' thing.  I like to see guitars that have been there and done it properly.  With that said, I dont hold anything against those that do go for relics.  Each to their own, and all that.

If I was to have a beaten up guitar, I'd want it to be beaten up because I beat it up.  Stevie Ray and Rory G's strats are knackered goes those guys took them out and played the hell out of them night after night for years and years.  And now those guitars have a bit of soul, and could tell some amazing stories.

Some brand new guitar that was made to look old is kinda wasted on me.  You pay a lot of money for the relic'ing process.  I'd rather spend the money on getting some better wood or pickups or whatever.  Then have a great guitar that I could take out every night, and make amazing music.  Then in 20 years time my guitar would still be made out of great wood, with great pickups, AND would have some great battle damage and great stories.

That's what I think anyway.

jimh said:
If I was to have a beaten up guitar, I'd want it to be beaten up because I beat it up.  Stevie Ray and Rory G's strats are knackered goes those guys took them out and played the hell out of them night after night for years and years.  And now those guitars have a bit of soul, and could tell some amazing stories.

Some brand new guitar that was made to look old is kinda wasted on me.  You pay a lot of money for the relic'ing process.  I'd rather spend the money on getting some better wood or pickups or whatever.  Then have a great guitar that I could take out every night, and make amazing music.  Then in 20 years time my guitar would still be made out of great wood, with great pickups, AND would have some great battle damage and great stories.
As it should be!  There's a reason they refer to a truly reliced guitar as having miles on it. 

When are people going to start wearing out the paint on thier own guitars?  Just seems crazy to me.  Your guitar should wear with the length of the relationship you've had with it.  The wear should mean something to you, a bond between you and your instrument.  Why pay extra to have your guitar beat up for you.

i like the real relics, they have a lot of character. artifical cosmetic relicing just seems contrived to me.

I think I've said it before, but I don't understand how people can let their guitars get to that state in the first place...  It's not that hard to take care of them.  :dontknow:

Yeah, I like real worn finishes.  My 90 year old tenor banjo is kind of beaten up and the metal has this awesome look because the nickel wore off of it and it is all coppery.  But fake patina or fake battle scars are lame. 

hannaugh said:
I think this type of thing is stupid.  It's like paying extra for pre-ripped jeans: 

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/Daily/News/Fender_Road_Worn_Series.aspx

I agree. I think it's pure stupidity...

hannaugh said:
Yeah, I like real worn finishes.  My 90 year old tenor banjo is kind of beaten up and the metal has this awesome look because the nickel wore off of it and it is all coppery.  But fake patina or fake battle scars are lame. 

Depends of the point of view... I would greatly prefer to have a 50's or 60's guitar beaten up, but I'm sure I'll never have enough money to buy one, so, I go to what I can pay for...

But really, if I wanted something to look worn, I would rather just buy a regular one and mess it up with a sander than pay an extra $400 to have them do it for me.  If I absolutely had to have holes in my new jeans, I would use a seam ripper rather than pay $20 extra to have someone at the factory do it. 

Back