Reranching a Warmoth Body

selowitch

Reranch has pretty detailed instructions on how to prepare a body to receive its spray-can finishes. What I'm a little unsure of is what state unfinished Warmoth bodies arrive to the consumer in. They have been dipped in sealer, right? As so have the necks? Does this mean that the initial steps of 1) wiping the body down the naphtha and 2) applying sand-and-sealer do not apply, and one can proceed directly to applying primer? Should one sand lightly first?

Last I knew, unfinished bodies and necks arrived completely unfinished.  You will need to start at the very beginning.

I thought they came sealed and sanded to a reaonsbale degree? And Who? you have perhaps the greatest profile pic ever. Wooble Wooble.

The sanding has been very good on the parts I have received.  You could go right out of the box to finishing, but I do believe the wood arrives raw.  At least I have done mine that way.

I'm guessing that the necks come sanded and sealed and the bodies do not (and thus are at Step One).

By the way, the Reranch products are very good.  I think you will enjoy doing your own finish.

There is always some final prep that needs to take place such as steaming out a few dings here and there but on a whole Warmoth stuff is well sanded and ready to go.  It never hurts to wipe it down with Naphtha before you start adding finish.  

Bodies have nothing on them and the type off wood the body is made from will determine the steps you take to finish it.  
The necks are dipped but you can still use sealer on them with out trouble.

Tonar8353 said:
There is always some final prep that needs to take place such as steaming out a few dings here and there but on a whole Warmoth stuff is well sanded and ready to go.  It never hurts to wipe it down with Naphtha before you start adding finish.  

Bodies have nothing on them and the type off wood the body is made from will determine the steps you take to finish it.  
The necks are dipped but you can still use sealer on them with out trouble.

+1

W used to put on their showcase bodies "Sanded to 220 and ready for your finishing ideas!" as a selling point, so they are completely raw. But yeah just sand and wipe it down to know that you did it yourself if it bothers you.

Back