Relic Strat Project

steve10358

Hello. Attached are some photos of my Warmoth neck and body (currently being painted/relic'd/sealed  by Mark Jenny).

I was always against the fence and just thought modding Fenders would get me there- however, I have never owned a strat I wanted to keep, and when I went looking recently, I just couldn't pull the trigger on a $4,000 relic that had some of what I wanted but some things I didn't. I am sure that's what lead you guys here.

Anyways, the guitar will be loaded with Callaham hardware, 2 custom Fralin single coils and a Motor City humbucker. the guitar will be assembled by Erik at Lush Guitars in California.

img1227706910289.jpg

img1225729235173.jpg

img1225729236837.jpg

P1020480.jpg

P1020483.jpg

P1020947.jpg

P1020874.jpg

The neck is being painted right now!

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
I kind of like it, but be prepared for plenty of criticism for the practice of "relic" finishes.

Thanks. Yeah, relicing isn't for everyone but I like it... main reason I did it is cause I hate worrying about knicking a nice looking guitar. It's the reason I sold my PRS! :)

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
I kind of like it, but be prepared for plenty of criticism for the practice of "relic" finishes.
I don`t get the relic thing when people buy a brand new relic guitar for more than one with perfect finish. But when you build it yourself I like it a lot  :)

Thanks guys! I love lurking on this board... so when I finally made a jump I wanted to share. :)

Here's some more. Guitar gets to Lush on the 13th.

img1233343450175.jpg

img1233343449387.jpg

I like the neck relicing... except that it looks a little too designed. If you had some more use marks in more random locations instead of having it look like Singular -raising the bar- from the high to the low frets it would look more authentic.

You should add screw holes in the back for the trem cover (even if you aren't going to add one).

I will say it looks nice and you hit the "aged" look right on.  Seems wierd I flipped out on my son last night for the 2 small dings he now has on his pristine maple top warmoth LP.  I guess he is working on his own relic a little at a time.

dmraco said:
I will say it looks nice and you hit the "aged" look right on.  Seems wierd I flipped out on my son last night for the 2 small dings he now has on his pristine maple top warmoth LP.  I guess he is working on his own relic a little at a time.

Healthy attitude there :)

And the guitar looks great Steve!

kboman said:
dmraco said:

Healthy attitude there :)

And the guitar looks great Steve!

I was ready to strangle him!!!!!  :doh: That finish took me over a month to do!!!!  Oh well....that is why I do not let him play my axes!

Back