Relic Strat Project

Here's a final update... this thing is the best strat I've ever owned. I love it. It sustains for days and the notes can be felt in the body. This thing is unbelievable and the neck profile is amazing too! This is definitely "my guitar". Feels like home.

The Fralins share similar traits to the duncan antiquity 50's I love so much, with an added hollowness and grease that I tried to get by swapping 50s to 60s Duncans. The Fralins are like 50's meet 60's. The blissterbucker from MotorCity is awesome because the guitar sounds like a guitar. You know how if you put a duncan 59 in a guitar, it sounds like a guitar with a duncan 59 in it? Not these. PS- I'm not ripping on duncan, Ive tried 5-6 brands and 40+ pickups too!

The neck looks and feels like home. If I had one complaint... its that I wish Warmoth hadn't cut the frets so close cause it can get iffy on the high E... although I am getting used to it. They really took care of me on a few things and their service and quality (as you all know) made me very happy. The body is light and just resonates, and the callaham bridge helps things sustain for a really long time.

Eric at Lush guitar did final assembly- the action is easy to play but perfect. So low but no rattles, buzzes, etc. How did he do it? The intonation is spot on too. I mean spot on. And of course Mark Jenny- wow. I cant believe how patient the guy is, and how talented. This guitar is 1000% of what I wanted but couldnt find anywhere else. I even started worrying if I had gone a step or two too far on things like the forearm, because I was looking at pictures for 4 months. Thank god I stuck with my gut instinct because it is perfect.

Anyways- enough rambling.. here's some pics!

DSCN1462.jpg

DSCN1461.jpg

DSCN1460.jpg

DSCN1444-1.jpg

DSCN1442.jpg

DSCN1445-1.jpg

DSCN1447-1.jpg

DSCN1448-1.jpg

DSCN1463.jpg

DSCN1464.jpg

DSCN1465.jpg

DSCN1466.jpg

DSCN1445.jpg

DSCN1447.jpg

DSCN1448.jpg

cool guitar but I'm more interested in those nice looking Marhsalls... :icon_thumright:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s270/steve10358/RELIC/DSCN1460.jpg

Thanks for asking!

img1223230819997.jpg

The grill of the jubilee has since had the wax removed. The 67 has since had the hole repaired by Kerry Wright.
DSCN0602.jpg

img1236892429805.jpg

DSCN0509.jpg

img1220657178213.jpg

img1231718548930.jpg

I'll do a quick summary... if you want to know more, I'd be happy to answer. Thanks!

1977 100w Super Lead restored and tweaked by Racksystems
1967 100w Super Trem restored by Racksystems and Kerry Wright (w/ custom 45 mod, master)
1968/9 100w Super Bass plexi recapped and tweaked by Racksystems
1980 MKII 50W Marshall w. Bogner 100B Blue Channel Mod (w. exc, br swtch mods) by Reinhold Bogner in Genuine Marshall hendrix headshell
1987 100w 2550 Jubilee Stack
2 straight RI greenback cabs
1 1973 Slant silverback cab
1984 Mesa Mark IIC+ simul, eq, rev
1955 Fender Princeton

Diezel is sold, and replaced by a Matchless HC30 that used to belong to and was tweaked by Racksystems.

:) If you have any other Q's feel free to ask!

You're as bad a Tonar.

I've been thinking about those old Mesa Boogies all day, too. And old Fenders. And Marshalls.

Max said:
You're as bad a Tonar.

I've been thinking about those old Mesa Boogies all day, too. And old Fenders. And Marshalls.

:) Yeah, it took a LOT of buying and selling used gear, as well as a lot of luck to get the deals I did. I can't afford to pay retail. In fact, my yearly average for the past 10 years is about $1300/yr-ish.

Also, there are clips of me playing (vid and sound, pardon the cussing on the video) at myspace.com/stephenmattucci Feel free to add me! I've been lurking here (and dont mean to be a selfish poster)... I love learning from you guys.

steve10358 said:
img1238714783160.jpg

All done boys!!!

Looks great, like something out of a rock'nroll museum.

Could you describe the steps how you reliced the neck like that?

I'd like to try it and a guide would be wonderful..

The steps? Sure!

1. Box it up.
2. Send to Mjtelecaster.com  :party07:

In other words I have no idea... :laughing11:
I cant even guess how he got checking on the headstock and back of the neck where it meets the body- but NOT on the finger board. Sorry I couldnt help but thank you for the compliment. I really appreciate it!

The neck looks like it has spent mucho hours being lovingly worked over on a stage in a bar.

Great job...it looks like an old heavily played Strat.

steve10358 said:
The steps? Sure!

1. Box it up.
2. Send to Mjtelecaster.com  :party07:

In other words I have no idea... :laughing11:
I cant even guess how he got checking on the headstock and back of the neck where it meets the body- but NOT on the finger board. Sorry I couldnt help but thank you for the compliment. I really appreciate it!

Cold compressed air and a warm blow dryer. (Most likely anyways IMO)

blimpo said:
The neck looks like it has spent mucho hours being lovingly worked over on a stage in a bar.

Great job...it looks like an old heavily played Strat.

THANKS! It feels wonderful. :)

I don't 'get' relics at all, but that does look very realistic to my untrained eyes. Amazing amp collection!

Thanks guys! I love lurking here cause the projects are pretty amazing to watch. Glad I could do one myself!

As for relic... I know some dont like em which is cool. I wasnt trying to pass it off as anything but something I like to look at. :D

Back