Relatively Unknown Guitarists

stormbringer

OK, since I am always willing to broaden my horizons, give me a few relatively unknown guitarists or bassists to check out.

Two that come to mind for me to you are:
Jani Liimatainen (ex Sonata Arctica)
Dann Huff (Giant)

Both very good and at times monster players...

Steve Tibbetts
Terje Rypdal (early stuff=awesomesauce)
And one from way back, Oscar Aleman: Argentinian dude played jazz on a National Tricone. Contemporary of Django Reinhardt.

Ed Wynne of Ozric Tentacles

Ed has a style much like Steve Via's but the music is much different than his. Kind of a psycodelic-techno-prog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CtjT8mOQYM&feature=related

Brian

Alan Morse of Spock's Beard. My most recent (re)obsession. Great tone, better music. Doesn't use a pick.
I'll always respect Ty Tabor: King's X, Platypus, Jelly Jam.
Roine Stolt! Super tone, crazy music: Flower Kings! It's amazing how blues-rootsy his soloing and singing are but what he does is upscale prog!

I love the Flower Kings! I  have a bunch of their albums and Transatlantic and Beware of Darkness. Spock's Beard is very LA.

Brian

I always answer with guys like

Devin Townsend (Strapping Young Lad/Devin Townsend Band)
Rob Ramos/Jake Kiley (Strung Out)
Peter Lindgren/Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth)
Myles Goodwyn/Brian Greenway (April Wine - seem to be relatively unknown outside of Canada anyway)
Borislav Mitic (Solo Artist)
Brendan Small (of "Metalocalypse" and "Home Movies" on Adult Swim)
Any artist on the Candyrat Records Label (Andy McKee, Dean Magraw and Antoine Dufour being 3 of my favorites)

Most of those I have listed here are pretty heavy.

Ive seen Opeth when they opened for Porcupine Tree...great stuff! I had bought their Damnation album prior to the show to familiarize myself with their stuff. Didnt even know they were death-metal. I have to say I own 7 of their albums now and they have to be the finest metal of any kind ive heard in a long time...Way better than Metalica and up there with Ozzy and Black Sabath.

Brian

Masato Yonaiyama

he's a friend of mine, well as good a friend you can have who speaks a diferent language. a profesional guitarist in japan, he used to play all over the island but i guess likes the more simple life. now has a bar that is mostly visited by his personal friends and some americans like myself from the air base in misawa. 

hows about Desiree Bassett?

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=C0xcpyROGqk[/youtube]

"hows about Desiree Bassett?"

she's cute but 1/3 way through that clip I had to stop it cause it as giving me a headache.

Brian

bpmorton777 said:
"hows about Desiree Bassett?"

she's cute but 1/3 way through that clip I had to stop it cause it as giving me a headache.

Brian

ha! you made it that far. your a stronger man than me.

obviously there are many better guitarists, does she get a handicap because she is a woman and women aren't known for shred or whatever that was?

or does she just get bonus points for looking good?

It seems he's bigger in europe than in the states. I have two CD's of him, great songs and amazing strat tone.
Many clips on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEJ8m4vb5k4

"It seems he's bigger in europe than in the states. I have two CD's of him, great songs and amazing strat tone.
Many clips on YouTube."

they musta pulled the plug on that clip cause it's not avalible any more.

Brian

Back