Red Tele

I

ildar

As bought from W. One-piece swamp ash, single bucker, OFR. Soon to be my hot rod.

Partially filled (I'm going for an in the grain look), dyed and intial clear coats.

Getting really nice!
Hope you do the same finish in the front of the headstock, will be the Evil Tele :evil4:

guitlouie said:
Nice....I really dig that red.
Thanks. That's actually 5 passes with dye. First was my peculiar amber mix, which is a mix of vintage maple and yellow. Next I added red to the amber mix, then straight red. Those were applied to the black grainfilled wood in that order. Next, after the 1st clear coat, I rubbed the red/amber mix-yes, into the lacquer. Then a 2nd coat of lacquer, and a red/amber rub again.
I'm pretty happy with the color, but I was planning on black hardware, but I think it might look kind of cheap. Opinions on hardware color?

I don't think I could ever play a guitar with just one humbucker in it, but that is just me.
But, damn that thing looks cool.

Micahbell said:
I don't think I could ever play a guitar with just one humbucker in it, but that is just me.
But, damn that thing looks cool.

I understand, but this is just my hot rod, like I mentioned earlier. It's meant to be my heavy sounding guitar, my go to for the crunchier songs in our setlists. For that it will be perfect: a one-tone Johnny.

Not sure about what I'll settle on for a pickup. I might go active, but for now I have a few passives I'll be changing in and out, including a D-Activator that has me intrigued. Hope it sounds like DiMarzio says it does.
I have a Warmoth headstock 3 x 3 maple/rosewood that I'll use for now. I intend on changing that out in the future though, maybe padouk/ebony. We'll see.  :)

NonsenseTele said:
I will say:
chrome or gold hardware and tele headstock FTW

I really dislike the Tele headstock shape.
I've got all black hardware which I bought before I finished the body. I had a red in mind which would have been good with black, but I don't think black will work with the red I've gotten.
What is FTW?

FTW seems to be everywhere lately... it means "for the win" - - though when I was younger it meant f**k the world hahahaha

I agree about the tele headstock - always looks weak to me, like a limp strat headstock hahaha :p

black or chrome would look good to me - but gold almost always looks too fancy for my taste. I always go with chrome as the default since it looks good on anything. Black makes everything look more modern to me - it goes with every color but may not look "right" to you.

Gold with that red is good - check a wine red LP studio with gold HW. But I'm a sucker for gold.
Great start, keep us posted.

Lacquer is cured, here is a mockup before rubbing/polishing. Turns out black will work!

You best stay with the black or I'm coming to Florida!  That looks awesome, man! 

I'll have to agree with Doc, looks tits to me man.......And I too dislike the tele headstock.....
vomiton.gif

Back