Real 54 Tele Done

Tonar8352

Here is another example of the dramatic effect of UV on Lacquer Finishes.

Here is the guitar with the color coat and some clear.  This a a real 1954 Tele.
IMG_2133.jpg

Here it is after a few weeks in the sun and put together.
IMG_2506.jpg

Here it is against my Warmoth.  Notice the difference in the headstock profile and the edges and shapes are slightly different.  You can go back through my threads and see my how much my Warmoth has changed since it was first finished.  
IMG_2520.jpg

As great as your builds are, I covet your wall of vintage Fender amps more.

One thing I finally noticed last week pulling a couple of necks off of some older builds to get laser logos cut into the headstocks was how much golder the finish looked. They were sprayed with Fender Neck Amber for color and top coat was spray can nitro lacquer that does have UV protectorant in it.

Spike told me that Warmoth gear isnt finished with UV protection because most would welcome UV aging of the guitar. I know I would.

rhythm said:
Spike told me that Warmoth gear isnt finished with UV protection because most would welcome UV aging of the guitar. I know I would.

Be that as it may, I don't think any sort of polyurethane finish will ever age in the same manner as nitro lacquer

jackthehack said:
rhythm said:

Be that as it may, I don't think any sort of polyurethane finish will ever age in the same manner as nitro lacquer

agreed

I'm new to the forum and I am in the middle of a tele project.  I really love the finish on this vintage tele and would like to recreate this type of finish on my tele as well.  It looks as if you have an ash body that you probably sealed (sanding sealer or shellac?), sprayed with a few coats of tint and then hit it with some nitro.  Is this correct?  I am wondering if you did any grain fill at all as you can still see hints of grain through the finish just like an older tele?
I love how there is a semi-gloss nitro finish in which the grain comes through slightly!

Hope I'm not asking you to give away any trade secrets!!!

Thanks- Chad

Chad,

Welcome to the Forum.  Here is the quick answer and then if you want to do some searching click on my name and it will bring up my profile page.  At the bottom of the page click on the link that shows the latest post and you can go through all my post to find any that pertain to your interest.  It is all there; I have been really open with what I do.
On this guitar I used the following method.
1. Jasco Paste Wood Filler
2. 1 wash coat of Val Spar 550 Production Gloss Lacquer
3. Second Coat of Jasco.
4. 2 wash coats of Lacquer and level sand (At this point if you want the finish to really crack and check quickly so it will look old give it 3 full coat of sanding sealer instead of the wash coats.)
5. Pickling coat (white wash) of Dunn-Edwards White Color In Oil tint mixed with clear gloss.
6. 2 coats of clear and level sand.
7. 4 coats of clear and level sand.
8. 2 final flow coats.
9. Wet sand rub out.

At this point the guitar will look like a Mary Kaye white.  Put it together and place it in the sun for two weeks and it will yellow up perfectly.  If you leave it out of the case it will continue to get more yellow and eventually will go butterscotch.  

Welcome to the boards and best of luck on your project!  Tonar's finishes rock, rest assured its solid advice.

Back