Read any good books lately?

I'm not really a reader.  Let me reiterate, I don't read for pleasure.  Other than the usual stuff I had to read in HS and College, I've read 5 books in the last 10 years.  Only then because they were gifts.  I read magazines, and I'm reading this forum, but the physical act of looking at symbols and translating them to thoughts in your head is a beating for me.  I've never been ADD, ADHD (or whatever it's called nowadays), and have never had trouble reading or writing.  I just don't care for it. 

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
I read magazines

that reminds me...
I want to change my guitar magazine subscription... can anybody recommend a good one?
never mind, started a new topic, so we can continue the 'my book is more intellectual' talk in here ;)

I recently got into The Book Of Job and Dying, In Other Words by Maggie Gee. I don't even know how I got Dying, but it's weird.
Both are good for reciting in my head while doing pushups!

Book of Job is pretty interesting to me. The relation of God to Man. It gets pretty hardcore.

Dying in Other Words is hard to describe, it's about a woman who is found dead, and the police who are rummaging through her possesions and stumble upon strange writings. It's written from different points of view, so that keeps the 'story' short. Ha!

btw even eric van lustbader should be mentioned in the same breath as robert jordan for not finishing what he started.

after writing kinky asian stuff for years, lustbader went back to his earlier instincts writing sci-fi fantasy.

so the "pearl" series was born. he wrote three books - does a decent job of keeping the reader engrossed.

then with the sudden success and popularity of the bourne movies, he was contracted to write sequels to the bourne novels (originally penned by robert ludlum - they are btw immensely popular in india).

with the success of his bourne sequels, lustbader has abandoned the pearl series. it has been like 4 years since the last book came out i think.

in his site he simply says something like, "yea the going is good for me now with the bourne novels and so i have no time for the pearl series ..."!

they should be a law ...

vtpcnk said:
after writing kinky asian stuff for years, lustbader went back to his earlier instincts writing sci-fi fantasy.

Eric von Lustbader wrote the Kama Sutra?  :eek: :dontknow:

>Eric von Lustbader wrote the Kama Sutra? 

the kama sutra is older than evl by atleast 1000 years i think. the sage vaatsyaayana wrote the kaama sutra. according to the hindu worldview, kaama or desire (of which the physical aspect forms an important part :) is considered one of primary goals/objectives (purusha artha) of life - hence the need for clear text(s) to instruct as to how to enjoy it to the max. the other goals are artha (wealth) and the boring ones - dharma (virtue) and moksha (spiritual liberation).

I read the Kama Sutra.  Here's a condensation of what it is about:
how to interact with the other sex, and enjoy pleasant sex positions.  

Good book.

yea vaatsyaayana's text is mainly about those two.

but actually there is no single kama sutra. sutra simply means an aphorism - for easy memorization. because ancient indians trusted their memory more than written texts. all the purusha arthas or the primary goals of life have extensive sutra literature behind them. the so called kama sutra is only one such text which was found by some european scholar who made it popular in the west. but there are many such kama sutras some of whose scope is wider or narrower about a particular subject.

Back