Read any good books lately?

Okay thats the 3rd time I've heard about pride and prejudice and zombies.  According to the guru at the nerd store (if anybody hasn't guessed yet I use the nerd with loving affection) Its an attempt to bring girls into the nerddom.  And it seems to be working a little bit.  Except I'm pretty sure you were already a nerd Hannaugh  :hello2:

Speaking of Horror stories.  I've heard about this compilation of short horror stories by Rudyard Kipling that I need to get.  They were talking about it on a call-in radio show on CBC a couple weeks ago, apparently Neil Gaiman does the forward,  I need to do some digging and find this book because it sounds like a good read.

After reading the title, I had to check it out, http://www.amazon.com/Pride-Prejudice-Zombies-Classic-Ultraviolent/dp/1594743347/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_c

Then I bought it.. how cool is this book? Seriously that cracks me up.  :guitaristgif:

kboman said:
ErogenousJones said:
Poe is always a good choice. His short stories are gritty, dark, and extremely well put together. He's always been a favourite of mine. "The Fall of the House of Usher," "The Pit and the Pendulum," "The Tell-Tale Heart," "Murders in the Rue Morgue," etc. All classics.

Excellent - but where do I start?  :icon_scratch:

Um, the beginning?  :icon_jokercolor:
Seriously, if you're interested in Poe, I'd suggest finding the biggest, cheapest anthology of his work you can find. They're not usually that hard to come by. For what it's worth, my favourite Poe short stories are "The Cask of Amontillado" and "The Pit and the Pendulum."

hannaugh said:
Poe is great.  If you like that you should also check out Nathaniel Hawthorne's short stories.  They are like Poe, but more bizarre than creepy, although some of them are creepy.

Hawthorne is also great. H.P. Lovecraft is boss too.

With Poe, it's all about Tell-Tale Heart, Masque of the Red Death, and Fall of the House of Usher.  Though, I almost enjoy the Basil Rathbone and Vincent Price readings of them better than reading them myself.  I highly recommend checking out those recordings.

ErogenousJones said:
kboman said:
ErogenousJones said:
Poe is always a good choice. His short stories are gritty, dark, and extremely well put together. He's always been a favourite of mine. "The Fall of the House of Usher," "The Pit and the Pendulum," "The Tell-Tale Heart," "Murders in the Rue Morgue," etc. All classics.

Excellent - but where do I start?  :icon_scratch:

Um, the beginning?  :icon_jokercolor:
Seriously, if you're interested in Poe, I'd suggest finding the biggest, cheapest anthology of his work you can find. They're not usually that hard to come by. For what it's worth, my favourite Poe short stories are "The Cask of Amontillado" and "The Pit and the Pendulum."
Those two are seriously underrated, and two of my favorites as well.  The Tell-Tale Heart is a good starting point though.  There's also his most accessible poem "The Raven".  Overdone, but a quick read and still a classic.

The Black Cat is a good one too... in such a messed up way.  But I suppose all of his work is messed up.

lets get discussing Lovecraft; Cthulu is WAY overrated for what it was. His Best work is definately The outsider.

smavridis said:
lets get discussing Lovecraft; Cthulu is WAY overrated for what it was. His Best work is definately The outsider.

Agreed. But I think his best work is a short story called "The Statement of Randolph Carter."

It's funny that we should jump from Poe to Lovecraft. Although many people seem to assume they're interchangeable, they are definitely two different animals. However, the two do complement each other very well; Poe's work is very psychologically disturbing, while Lovecraft's often have a more visceral impact.

i just started reading "wheel of time : eye of the world" - for the 4th time. i do this once in a couple of years at times when i don't find anything interesting to read.

i can't believe that robert jordan started this series in 1991, then dragged it on and on and then finally died without completing it!

the last 3 to 4 books in the series are a shining example of how to write a book of 700 pages without the plot/story moving an inch!

but it is good that brandan sanderson (i loved his mistborn series) has been given the job of completing it.

btw i really hope that george rr martin doesn't "pull a robert jordan" on his ice and fire series, where the last installment has been due for like two years now!

vtpcnk said:
i just started reading "wheel of time : eye of the world" - for the 4th time. i do this once in a couple of years at times when i don't find anything interesting to read.

i can't believe that robert jordan started this series in 1991, then dragged it on and on and then finally died without completing it!

the last 3 to 4 books in the series are a shining example of how to write a book of 700 pages without the plot/story moving an inch!

but it is good that brandan sanderson (i loved his mistborn series) has been given the job of completing it.

btw i really hope that george rr martin doesn't "pull a robert jordan" on his ice and fire series, where the last installment has been due for like two years now!

Yeah it's really rude when people get incurable diseases and die!

... ;)

I had to stop reading fantasy for a while because of Robert Jordan.

Don't get me wrong, the books are great, but there's such a thing as being TOO descriptive...

I read "Childhood's End" by Arthur C. Clarke, and couldn't believe he packed such a good story into such a SMALL book.  :laughing7:

I tried to get into Robert Jordan but I just didn't have the patience.  Mind you that was high school and it may be different now.  Same thing with Terry Brooks and *gasp* Tolkien.  I loved the hobbit but LotR put me to sleep.

Now I'm reading Speaker for the Dead, and Tori Amos' Biography.

I'm currently reading The Ultimate Tone by Kevin O'Connor (a cool tube amp book), a Perl book for work, and a book of short stories

mayfly said:
I really like Oscar Wilde as well. 

I quite like him too... I have even been to his house once! he wasn't home at the time though  :tard: :sad1: :icon_tongue:

Back