Raw Canary. Whats It All About?

JaySwear

so i've been researching (always more to look up before you order ANYTHING i feel like...) and i've been thinking about a maple neck. but the one i've been looking at is a gloss finish, and i'd rather have a satin neck. so i figure maybe a canary (raw) neck would be a good compromise. similar color, but no finish needed.

so how does canary feel? a satin-like finish is what i'm hoping to hear. i had a peavey wolfgang standard that i just got rid of, and i loved the feel of the neck (just not the radius).

thanks in advance!  :icon_thumright:

and, while i'm asking about one, what other "exotic" woods make decent unfinished necks? i keep hearing that a raw exotic is the way to go, but don't hear any specifics besides canary and wenge. and maybe indian rosewood, but thats a bit out of my price range  :sad1:

Pau Ferro is another great one.  They all have their nuances, and none are exactly alike.  But, they do follow trends.  Pau Ferro would have a similar tone to maple.  The way they feel?  Like nothing else out there.  There is gloss and satin, but then the unfinished are like fine silk or soft flannel or, well, words fail.  It is definitely another level if you like the satin feel.
Patrick

The raw necks (I have rosewoods and a wenge) are really the way to go, ESPECIALLY if you're going to pay warmoth to slap a satin finish on there. Don't get me wrong, I like a maple neck too, but if you're really going to do one custom guitar you ought to go raw exotic. You should check some out, PRS makes a few models with rosewood necks and various high end basses have exotic wood necks. Go to the best stores in your area and look for them.

Canary is smooth like butter. Before my Canary neck on my strat, my favorite guitar to play was my tele with a maple neck. That neck feels like crap to me now hehe. I love the canary.  :icon_thumright:

Luke said:
Canary is smooth like butter. Before my Canary neck on my strat, my favorite guitar to play was my tele with a maple neck. That neck feels like crap to me now hehe. I love the canary.  :icon_thumright:

Before people smack me down.. a good part of why that neck isn't my fav anymore.. is because of the neck shape, not just that its maple.  That being said the finish is worn as I played the hell out of that thing.. and that's why I got a new neck from Mayfly a month or two ago.

I got mine for the exotic raw factor that everyone here was raving about.  I'm not disappointed in the least.

It's smooth like a great but well worn pool cue.  Plus it has the effect of looking like maple at ten feet away to any non-guitarist.  My favorite neck before this one was a Les Paul.

i've also been told that raw canary doesn't require a finish to still be covered by warantee. can anybody confirm this? i think i've got my mind made up about a raw neck, just don't want to be SOL if i get it in bad shape  :sad1:

thanks for all the replies! after playing my satin neck, i really miss my peavey wolfgang's feel. i want a raw neck again!

Yes, and No you should never finish a canary neck!
I helped Luke building his Strat with Canary neck and it feels amazing raw!
I have tried (or helped building guitars with) a lot of exotic necks now: Wenge, Bloodwood, Padouk, Goncalo Alves, Canary, Boob-enga and 2 different Rosewood necks, which both for some reason feel different all.
anyway, none of these have disappointed yet!! haven't actually played the padouk one or the bubinga (also Luke's) yet, but they sure feel great!

I could go on for hours to tell about the feel, tone and sustain difference, but I think you won't be disappointed with any of these.
Canary feels a little less smooth compared to Wenge or Rosewood, probably because of the different grain.. but I kind of like that!

oh and it is true what they say on the website, you can actually feel the vibrations better with raw necks as opposed to finished necks.

a little off subject, but i sent you a message about that strat build, marko

and as for the feel of the necks i think i'm leaning more and more towards a raw canary neck. the color i'd like on my guitar with the feel i'd like. can't go wrong! now just need to email for a price estimate.

I bought a Gecko 5 (medium) neck from the Showcase a little while ago, made of Canary (with Purpleheart laminates).  The wood is nice, smooth, and does not have a lot of "open" grain that you'd find with woods like Wenge and Bubinga - woods which also make fine necks, but that's another story.

Canary is nice because, when sanded nicely, it has a smooth, satiny feel that's just wonderful to touch.  I'm a big fan of unfinished wood necks (ask me about my other Gecko basses) and I have to say that Canary is probably the nicest wood that I've had the pleasure to touch and play.

Tactile bliss aside, the wood really does look beautiful.  No pictures prepared me for the lovely grain that I saw in person when I removed the neck from its packaging on the day that it arrived.  The variance in colors is a sight to behold.

Tonally, Canary is clear, warm and resonant, without being too "bright" or too "dull".  It doesn't feel like a very heavy neck (for example, Purpleheart) but it still manages to be stiff enough to give me solid neck with an excellent fretless tone.

Warmoth does an excellent job with Canary.  You really can't go wrong.  I would choose raw Canary over finished Maple any day.

i forgot to add into the equation that i tend to get very sweaty hands when i play. reading around i see that something like that might destroy a non-exotic/non-sealed neck wood, but how would canary hold up?

awesome, i was hoping so. especially with canary. it definitely sounds like it's exactly what i'm looking for

Just installed an all Canary neck on my S type. Have about 2-3 hrs of time on it. So far very nice. WIll post pics later.

I have not played a Canary neck, yet!  I have a Canary w/ Malagasy Rosewood fingerboard on order and can not wait for her to come home. :blob7: :blob7: :blob7:
Canary is not a standard choice option and I don't think it is always available? :icon_scratch:
They seem to have a new batch of Canary that came in because they have been showing some beautiful Canary necks in the showcase. :glasses9:
If you watch the RSS feed you can see the new necks as they are posted and maybe get a feel for what you might want.
Good luck  :rock-on:

bbl4ck said:
I have not played a Canary neck, yet!  I have a Canary w/ Malagasy Rosewood fingerboard on order and can not wait for her to come home. :blob7: :blob7: :blob7:
Canary is not a standard choice option and I don't think it is always available? :icon_scratch:
They seem to have a new batch of Canary that came in because they have been showing some beautiful Canary necks in the showcase. :glasses9:
If you watch the RSS feed you can see the new necks as they are posted and maybe get a feel for what you might want.
Duuuuuuuude, you're gonna love it, got min in today for "Krank n Stein" and it's just simply amazing....... :hello2:
index.php

DangerousR6 said:
bbl4ck said:
Duuuuuuuude, you're gonna love it, got min in today for "Krank n Stein" and it's just simply amazing....... :hello2:
index.php

Doug, I'm sitting here creamin' over your neck.  A true beauty on the Krankenstein.  :blob7: :hello2: :blob7: 
I am really squirming with anticipation now because I am expecting mine within the next week or so. 
When did you order your neck?  I placed my order on May 5th, so it should be coming home within the next couple weeks. 
You will see pics of the Canary with Mr. Cray when it arrives.
Be cool and have a great weekend!
:rock-on:

Back