Racing Green Strat Build

braziers

Relatively new to the forum, so thought I'd contribute with a thread of my latest build.
My second Warmoth build. I built a Strat last year with a chambered maple/birdseye maple body and it blew me away.
This time round, the body is simpler from Warmoths PoV, but I'm hoping the end product is something a little different!

Colour scheme is largely inspired by classic British Racing Green cars, but I wanted a metallic, so took inspiration from the Bentley Continental GT #9 and the latest Porsche offerings in Jet Green Metallic.

Ordered the Body out of the Showcase at the beginning of May. Came across an Extra Lightweight Alder Body so couldn't say no.
Shipped straight to MJT for finishing, where it's apparently just come out of paint (no photos yet).

Spec of the build should be as follows;

Body

Model: Stratocaster®
Orientation: Right handed
Scale: 25-1/2"
Wood: Alder
Rout: Top Rout
Pickup Rout: Humbucker, Strat®, Humbucker
Bridge: Fender® American Standard Flat Mount
Jack Rout: Strat® Top Jack Rout
Neck Pocket: Strat® Shape
Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt
Contours: Tummy Cut / Forearm Contour
Additional Info: Extra Light Weight Alder
Finish: Custom relic finish from MJT (I asked for a mix of Bentley Viridian Green & Porsche Jet Green Metallic, with Silver Competition Stripes)

Neck

Model: Fender 1969 Custom Shop Stratocaster
Wood: Quarter Sawn Maple
Fretboard: Rosewood
# of Frets: 21
Fret Wire: 6105
Dots: Mother of Pearl
Radius: 9.5"
Nut Width: 1.65"
Neck Back: 1969 U-Shape
Tuner Holes: Schaller
Finish: Nitro Lacquer Relic

Hardware:

Pickguard: 3-ply aged Mint Green
Bridge: Fender American Standard Flat Mount Hardtail - to be lightly aged / relic'd
Tuners: Schaller 'F' Tuners - lightly relic'd
Hardware Colour: Nickel (chrome where nickel isn't available)

Electronics:

Neck PU: Seymour Duncan 'Lipstick' SLS-1N
Bridge PU: Seymour Duncan JB
Controls: Single Volume Push/Pull (pickup selection)

Small image dump.
First up a couple of images that were sent over by Wendy at MJT from when the Body arrived back in early/mid May.
Then a couple of images of my colour inspiration...

Attachments

• IMG_0426.jpg
    IMG_0426.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0427.jpg
    IMG_0427.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 2d939111-a57e-43a7-b85f-36e010cedc8d.jpg
    2d939111-a57e-43a7-b85f-36e010cedc8d.jpg
    447.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 552_15617EF3FE38871EE0C5A1A5F6440E2E.jpg
    552_15617EF3FE38871EE0C5A1A5F6440E2E.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 24
Oh man, that is going to be so cool! I really need to see the finished results! I bet that design would look dope on a jazzmaster or a Jaguar or something.  :rock-on: :headbang:

One thing I didn't think about before I ordered - the stainless steel frets won't match the hardware as nicely as the nickel fret wire does. It is closer to the color of chrome than nickel. They are supposed to be more durable though. So if you play enough to ever need fret work SS might be better, or if you care more about it matching then nickel would be my recommendation.

I'm still waiting on some progress updates on the body, so in the meantime I've been collecting a few parts.

The neck I've had for several months now. It's a Fender Custom Shop '69 Relic Neck.

Hardware wise, I was originally on the path of trying to source everything in Nickle.
It's easier to relic if nickle, as opposed to chrome, but there's not an awful lot of nickle options out there for hardtails, at least that I've been able to find anyway.
So I think I'm going to have to change my hardware plan to chrome. No it won't match the fret wire, but that's a minor detail.
The tuners are lightly relic'd chrome anyway, so hopefully I'll be able to add a similar finish to the rest of the hardware.
The jack-plate is an already aged piece from Gotoh.

Pickguard is an aged mint green, which I will relic it slightly too by taking the sheen off .

Attachments

• PARTS 1.jpg
    PARTS 1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 13
  • NECK 2.jpg
    NECK 2.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 22
  • NECK 1.jpg
    NECK 1.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 21
Nickel hardtail bridge.

https://www.callahamguitars.com/strat_bridge_hardtail_catalog.htm

I have a couple of Callaham bridges and they are very good. They also have various parts in nickel and also in distressed nickel.

stratamania said:
Nickel hardtail bridge.

I have a couple of Callaham bridges and they are very good. They also have various parts in nickel and also in distressed nickel.

Thanks stratamania.
Looks like they do a bridge for a 'modern' hardtail too, which is what my body is routed for.
I might be blind, but I can't see any reference to them being nickle as opposed to chrome, but I will take your word for it!

You could check out Hipshot's website, I was able to get a TOM and Stopbar bridge in Nickel through them. It fits the standard Gotoh TOM drilling from the Warmoth website and is a definite upgrade in design from the standard.

Looks like they have a fixed bridge in Nickel: https://hipshotproducts.com/collections/guitar-bridges/products/fixed-guitar-bridge

I was really impressed with the quality of the TOM I bought. You are right that it's more diffifcult to source parts in nickel than in chrome. I do have an extra gotoh TOM/Bar and a set of 3+3 tuners in Nickel and four knurled knobs in a lightly-aged nickel if either of them would be helpful to anyone. I ended up going with hipshot tuners as well since they were soo much lighter, and a different knob design. I'm getting itt back today actually so I will have pics up soon so you can see how the nickel hardware looks on mine. 

And actually switching to chrome means the stainless steel frets will probably be a closer match than the nickel ones, so that's a plus.

Switching to chrome is looking more and more like the sensible choice, just because it opens up better options for hardware parts.
My only issue is that chrome is more difficult to 'relic' as such, not that this build will be a heavy relic, but I'd like a subtle worn in look for the hardware.

Received a couple of (very low-res) progress pics today.
Due for buffing and then relic'ing starting next week.

Attachments

• image001.JPG
    image001.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 41
  • image002.JPG
    image002.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 40
braziers said:
stratamania said:
Nickel hardtail bridge.

Thanks stratamania.
Looks like they do a bridge for a 'modern' hardtail too, which is what my body is routed for.
I might be blind, but I can't see any reference to them being nickle as opposed to chrome, but I will take your word for it!

At the link posted next to Pricing it says Nickel $69

Hard tail metallic green strat.  I like the cut of your jib  :headbang: I look forward to seeing your completed project, the photos so far look great.   

I, too, am in the process of building a green hard tail but no shiny bits, all black hardware.  :icon_biggrin:

ARCnet78 said:
Hard tail metallic green strat.  I like the cut of your jib  :headbang: I look forward to seeing your completed project, the photos so far look great.   

I, too, am in the process of building a green hard tail but no shiny bits, all black hardware.  :icon_biggrin:

Thanks! I just had a look at your thread, looks great!
I really fancy building a rear-routed Strat in future.

Had a quick update this morning from MJT, sent over some better quality progress photos.
Checking is being done this week, followed by final buffing, and then it should be done!

Attachments

• IMG_0218.jpg
    IMG_0218.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0217.jpg
    IMG_0217.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0216.jpg
    IMG_0216.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0215.jpg
    IMG_0215.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0214.jpg
    IMG_0214.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 30
ragamuffin said:
Great color! I bet you're excited to see it in person

Thanks!
Very much so. It's been tough waiting nearly 5 months to see it take shape, but on the home stretch now by the looks of it.

Update; she arrived!

Got the final progress pics a couple of weeks back from MJT, and I gave them the Green-Light to ship.
It arrived Friday of last week, and I couldn't help throwing the neck on there for a quick look (once I'd sanded any over spray from the neck pocket).

Colour really pops in the sun, looks so different in and out of the light. Really happy with how it turned out.

Looking forward to assembling this one, but the best part is knowing I don't have to be super careful with anything on this build, as it's a relic, so any additional little dings, chips, checking etc. will all add to the charm (for me at least  :icon_biggrin:).

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 20
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 27
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 21
That's a great color! I love the competition stripes too (I know I'm super late to the party but I can't see a green guitar and not compliment it)!

Back