quirky les paul!

Orpheo

I am aiming at my 4th les paul, and I want it to have these specs (lets see what is, and is not possible):

-korina back (is possible)
-flamed,carved maple top (possible)
-tobaccoburst (possible)

so far so good :D

and now the quirky stuff:

no heelcontour (possible too I believe), because I want a:
-spalted maple 1/8'' laminated BACK, also tobaccoburst (No idea if this is possible, would be cool though!)
-clearcoat binding on top and back
-preferably a maple pinstripe for the back too.

I like the spalted maple, and sometimes black korina can look a bit like it

VIPP107A.jpg

I will pair it up with a wenge neck, ebony fingerboard, binded, ofcourse, gibson style headstock, and I will take my trademark crosses, I think. It will be blocks or crosses.

Why don't you go for a korina top? Flame maple on a lp is such a cliche  :icon_tongue:
also, if you really want a fancy back, why don't you ask for extra figured Korina? as you said, that is as least as nice a spalted maple!

If you haven't used a contoured heel before, I'd say definitely don't forgo it for looks reasons - it's just a little bit of wood but makes a noticeable difference in access / comfort up high. I won't build another W without one.

tfarny said:
If you haven't used a contoured heel before, I'd say definitely don't forgo it for looks reasons - it's just a little bit of wood but makes a noticeable difference in access / comfort up high. I won't build another W without one.
no, not for me. I dont 'use' that piece of wood. I always put the thumb of my frethand (lefthand) at the block of the neckjoint. On the square-piece of wood where the neck attaches to the body. I dont feel any real difference.

but if warmoth is willing to give me a piece of black korina that resembles spalted maple (like I showed, not the medium-figured versions, like I have on my purpleburst), I will let the spalted maple idea go.

I typed the starting-post almost 11 hours ago, and when I was asleep I noticed a mistake; clearcoat-binding with lipover+pinstripe+spalted maple is not possible. Spalted maple has to have a real binding. So that idea, I had to let go.

@ marko: I like the looks of black korina, as a top. I dont like its sound though. I have, as you may know, a lot of les paul customs (or had, at least, haha) and I've also tried a real '57 custom, with the mahogany-top,and its just not for me. Its too muddy, too mushy. Korina has the same soundproperties as mahogany, perhaps a bit more highs, but still. Its not my thing, sorry :) I like, for the backs, mahogany that feels like lead (like '70ies customs) and dito maple for tops. it just gives me 'my' sound.

What would be possible, ofcourse, is a (flamed) black korina top and a padouk, zebrano, walnut or maple back. but that would be another project ;) this guitar has to be a 'real' 70ies les paul custom, with some add-ons from my side (wenge neck in sted of mahogany or maple, korina back instead of mahogany, no multiply binding, 3 pickups that are controlled by a 3 way switch plus a 4way tele-blade, etc etc).

Sounds to me like youv'e got your mind made up , what's your question? What's the point of your post.

You said what you want to do, go do it.

Back