Questions about Neck and Tuning machines

ChrisPBacon

Hey guys, I just have a couple of questions and concerns for my very first parts-caster

-Where can I buy string bushings for the tuning holes? (It's my understanding that they are necessary for installing vintage tuners)

-Should I wait until the final nitro finish is applied to install them (bushings and tuning machines) or can I install them and then send it to the folks that are going to finish neck?

-Say I'm okay to do all these installation processes before I send the neck out to the folks at MJT, am I good to string up the guitar and play it, or should I wait for the final finish to be applied?

Bushings are supplied with tuners. If your necks holes are prepared for the tuners you are going to use then you don't need to buy anything further.

If you are trying to fit vintage tuners in a modern style tuner hole you may need conversion bushings which can be obtained from various suppliers.

More specifics would be helpful when asking questions as the above are some educated guesses.

You should at least do a dry fit before finishing it and you could assemble and disassemble prior to finish. After finish, you may need to clean the holes of some finish when fitting the tuners.

The Neck I ordered is routed for the vintage style tuning machines (11/32 if I am correct)

I appreciate the help man! I know this stuff seems like common sense but I just wanted to make sure I covered my bases and made sure I can handle this stuff!

I was thinking doing a "a dry fit" was going to be either a necessity or a bad idea, and given your input, it seems more like a good idea! Thanks again for the help, and if anyone has any more tips as far as making sure I have the neck on properly etc, feel free to let me know!

Vintage-style tuners come with the bushings. Do not install the tuners before finishing. Get the finish done first. In my experience, vintage style tuner bushings are a very tight fit. As such you might need to lightly sand the tuner boreholes to clean up any excess finish, but other than that you're good to go.

ChrisPBacon said:
The Neck I ordered is routed for the vintage style tuning machines (11/32 if I am correct)

I appreciate the help man! I know this stuff seems like common sense but I just wanted to make sure I covered my bases and made sure I can handle this stuff!

I was thinking doing a "a dry fit" was going to be either a necessity or a bad idea, and given your input, it seems more like a good idea! Thanks again for the help, and if anyone has any more tips as far as making sure I have the neck on properly etc, feel free to let me know!

I recommended at least checking it is in the ballpark prior to finishing. Whether you fit them completely is a choice but is not needed. But there is no point in sending it for a finish if they are nowhere near dimensionally.

Cactus Jack said:
Vintage-style tuners come with the bushings. Do not install the tuners before finishing. Get the finish done first. In my experience, vintage style tuner bushings are a very tight fit. As such you might need to lightly sand the tuner boreholes to clean up any excess finish, but other than that you're good to go.

Not all things work out dimensionally perfect. It is best not to make assumptions and some vintage tuners do vary.

Light sanding is one possibility for cleaning out a little finish but a peg hole reamer is a useful tool for this job.

Back