Question about the conversation feature, with the envelope icon.

Rick

Epic Member
Is this the replacement for PM? And is it secure? If two people want to use it, as long as neither invite anyone else, is it still secure?

Good questions. How about we find out? You put something really sensitive into a conversation, and I'll see if I can intercept it.

Kidding, not sure what kind of security is required or expected for guitar-forum conversations. I would never enter anything into a box on a computer that I'd be upset to have the whole world see.

I agree with that philosophy. Whenever I send an email I always assume that it's just like a postcard: Anyone who happens across it can see it.

If I'm going for security I usually use a private encrypted server, or just encrypt the document. Encrypting the document is about the same as putting your postcard in an envelope BTW, ;)

If two people want to discuss things like shipping costs, is it only the admins that can look at it? If they are the only people I guess that's all right. I'm not going to be talking about anything controversal.

Yes, it is the same as the PM feature.

There are also two check boxes with the below options.
  • Allow anyone in the conversation to invite others
  • Lock conversation (no responses will be allowed)
If you don't check them, it stays personal between two members and the conversation remains active.

I agree with that philosophy. Whenever I send an email I always assume that it's just like a postcard: Anyone who happens across it can see it.

If I'm going for security I usually use a private encrypted server, or just encrypt the document. Encrypting the document is about the same as putting your postcard in an envelope BTW, ;)

Should I feel bad that I've never sent anything so sensitive that I felt I needed to use a private encrypted server?

Am I not living my best life?

What would Tom Cruise do?

Should I feel bad that I've never sent anything so sensitive that I felt I needed to use a private encrypted server?

Am I not living my best life?

What would Tom Cruise do?
You gotta get into scientology, man.

Back