PRS style Halfmoth (body from scratch) FINALLY DONE!!!!

felipeak

Here is my new proyect (since my LUKE-N4-TELE (http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=13319.0) is in finishing process)
It is a copy of a PRS. Mahogany back and maple top, two pieces each. The neck will be a simple Warmoth 24 3/4 conversion, comp radius, standard thin, mahogany/rosewood & Jumbo frets.

Here are some pictures:

45146952.jpg
14798340.jpg
33683454.jpg

99118222.jpg
45864307.jpg
96213408.jpg

After some hours of handsanding this is the partial result.....
84395966.jpg
 stay tuned..........

Looks great and I can't wait to see more.  Starting my first body from scratch next weekend.  Can't wait to get going!!

Good job man!

Looks like you've got a fair bit of skill with that dremel and drum sander.

Mighty sweet! My previously-butchered-by-someone-else body has been a huge hassle to fix. As suggested by someone on the 7-string forum, it would probably be easier to just make my next body from scratch and use a Warmoth neck.

Body Update!!!!!!!!!!

Here is the body and some hardware. I still have to work in the carve and rout the neck pocket. I ordered the warmoth neck, should be here next month.

SPECS:
Hipshot Hardtail Bridge, 3 way selector, Neck VOL pot, Bridge VOL pot with Push/Pull for Humbucker/single mode, no TONE pot.
The pickups are: Tonerider Rebel90 for the Neck and StewMac's Golden Age Overwound Humbucker for the Bridge. Both with nickel cover
The finish will be GOLDTOP with the false binding line of unpainted maple.

72149618.jpg

maybe it's a visual thing in the pic, but it sure looks like the neck pocket doesn't even exist, or rather, theres no wood where there should be to route a neckpocket.

It must be an illusion as the rest of your work looks awesome.

Can't wait to see the finnished product

Alfang said:
maybe it's a visual thing in the pic, but it sure looks like the neck pocket doesn't even exist, or rather, theres no wood where there should be to route a neckpocket.

It must be an illusion as the rest of your work looks awesome.

Can't wait to see the finnished product

Yeah right..... the neck pocket will be very little, but I still have to carve just the mapletop thickness and cut all the mahogany excess. Finally it all depends on the bridge's position to respect the 24 3/4 scale of the guitar. The Neck's pickup place will be decided after carving the neck pocket.

Here's an idea . . . do your "binding" around the body except taper it off to nothing for the inner part of the cutaways . . . knowhatImean?

B3Guy said:
Here's an idea . . . do your "binding" around the body except taper it off to nothing for the inner part of the cutaways . . . knowhatImean?

That is how real PRSs are done. Sure I'll do it that way:

prsbinding.jpg

felipeak said:
B3Guy said:

That is how real PRSs are done. Sure I'll do it that way:

prsbinding.jpg

ha. never studied PRS bodies before. I guess they do it exactly like I said on the lower cutaway (looks like it, anyway)  :icon_thumright:

My Custom 22 is just like that on the lower cutout, the upper one seems to get thicker, I never compared that to another before, is that axe the same?

all standard model from PRS have no binding at the inner lower cutway and a tapered binding at the upper cutway.

Wow this is looking awesome. Is the neck pocket just going to be a bottom? As in there won't be anything on the sides of where the neck mounts up? I'm just confused as to why there is no maple in the pocket :icon_scratch:

rapfohl09 said:
Wow this is looking awesome. Is the neck pocket just going to be a bottom? As in there won't be anything on the sides of where the neck mounts up? I'm just confused as to why there is no maple in the pocket :icon_scratch:

it will have 1cm aprox. on the neck pocket sides.... I have to wait for the neck to rout the maple top.

PRS Halfmoth UPDATE!!!!!!!

The neck has arrived!!!!! now I'm working in neck & bridge alignment & angle, Back contour , highest frets access, headstock final form and overall confortability hanging with the strap. Here is a picture... I can see that the bridge pickup rout is not full horizontal... I'll have to fix that.

I decided to add the Ghost System (from graphtech) to have also acoustic piezo sound... the Magnetic and piezo in two independent circuits with two output jacks.
I had a parker fly with piezo and one jack.... I didn't like the mags passing through the preamp and the stereo splitter thing...also, if the battery is out of power the mags didn't sound at all.

Back