Pro setup really necessary?

Do I really have to get my bass set up by a pro?  I'm usually able to do a decent job myself, short of levelling and recrowning.  I'm not looking for low action on this bass, either.

i build them all myself, and I'm not a pro guitartech, and they all play just fine.

Warmoth frets are really level, with rare exceptions. However, the fret ends always seem toothy to me - if I'm playing a sweaty four-hour gig, there's no way I could play a Warmoth without attending to those teeth.  :laughing8: It's an exceedingly small adjustment, you just need to take that hair-edge off with some 220 wet/dry sandpaper, polish with 600 and steel wool - it takes almost longer to first tape the fretboard, than to fix the frets. I wouldn't advise doing it without read Dan Erlewine's "Guitar Player Repair Guide" first.

Warmoth's quality is good enough that you can usually get them set up by yourself if you know what your doing (definitely get Dan Erlewine's book though). That being said I've been lucky enough to have some of my guitars and basses set up by truly great luthiers (Mike Koontz of Ferndale, MI and Larry Cragg of San Anselmo, CA) and nothing compares to the mojo that those guys can put into an instrument.

The only things that I've had to do was deepen the nut slots, dress the top of the nut, adjust the neck relief, action, and intonation.

I don't think a pro setup is required (although a good set of nut files is).

mayfly said:
The only things that I've had to do was deepen the nut slots, dress the top of the nut, adjust the neck relief, action, and intonation.

I don't think a pro setup is required (although a good set of nut files is).

This is stuff I don't know how to do.  So, I take my newly built guitars in to get this done.  The results have been rewarding.

Hmmm.... and I'm putting on a Warwick adjustable-height nut.  Maybe this will work!  :headbang:  I'm hoping to use my bass at a gig 48 or so hours after it's built.  I'm usually fairly happy with my own setup jobs although they don't compare to the real magic of a pro.

In my opinion no, but you know what they say about opinions.

I've always setup my own guitars, in the beginning out of financial necessity, now because I've learned how and know exactly how I like it.

I'm happiest doing it myself, and I have been getting better results recently. I think for a really good setup, you need to tweak it over the course of a few days - first get it basically right, then as you play it keep your allen wrenches handy. For the price of two setups you can get the Erlewine book and the basic tools you need. The Warmoth fret files are great, get all eight.

It's relative to your needs and wishes. I used to run my basses by a very good tech once a year for tweaking (before I switched to SS frets). He's now retired, and is missed. I've been doing my own setups and adjustments for 40 years - but I still would appreciate his touch and thoughts. No shame in a second opinion...

Do you guys find that you need to tell a tech anything Warmoth-specific when they're doing your setup?  Like, does he need to know anything about the truss rod in the Pro neck, and is the compound radius going to throw him off if he doesn't know it's there?  I've never done a final setup so these may seem like dumb questions, but when I go to take my guitar in, it would be nice to know if I need to tell him anything to make sure it gets done right.  I don't want it to get screwed up because of something stupid.

Mr Real Nice said:
Do you guys find that you need to tell a tech anything Warmoth-specific when they're doing your setup?  Like, does he need to know anything about the truss rod in the Pro neck, and is the compound radius going to throw him off if he doesn't know it's there?  I've never done a final setup so these may seem like dumb questions, but when I go to take my guitar in, it would be nice to know if I need to tell him anything to make sure it gets done right.  I don't want it to get screwed up because of something stupid.

Easy - TELL HIM EVERYTHING!

Seriously though, don't worry what he/she needs to know.  Tell him everything you just mentioned!

haha, that was the plan.  I just wanted to know if there was anything I should stress for sure.  Thanks.  :toothy12:

Mr Real Nice said:

Pretty much like my doctor and attorney - I tell them every thing they need to know  :laughing7:

To make yourself feel better, certainly tell the tech everything, but in all honesty, if they are worth the price they are gonna charge you, they should be able to figure this stuff out. 

Mr Real Nice said:

If it's a competent tech/luthier they should be able to look at it and know. If he/she doesn't recognize the fact that the neck has a compound radius, you should take the work elsewhere.

Back