preTender Felekaster - 80's superstrat with classic appearance (now with pics)

Rocktrond

Update 10. january,

The neck is now in :)

CBS Stratocaster
Warmoth Pro Construction
Quartersawn maple
Reversed headstock
Standard thin contour
10-16 compound radius
6100 stainless steel frets (22 of them)
Standard black dot fretboard markers
Clear Satin Nitro finish

Will have chrome locking tuners

The body is still in the making I believe - or maybe on the way:

Stratocaster replacement
Chambered
Swamp Ash
Tobacco sunburst finish
F-hole
Contoured heel
Tortoise pickguard
SSL 5 single coil neck pickup (white)
JB humbucker (nickel)
Recessed Schaller Floyd (chrome)

Will have two volume controls and a three-way switch (and a mini switch for coil splitting/tapping).

Going for a 80s/modern superstrat, but with a classic/vintage kind of look to it.

The decal on the headstock will read preTender Felekaster (Fender style fonts) (Fele in norwegian means Violin)

Really looking forwards to this :)

You're going to love opening that box. Warmoth does some fine finish work.

Fantastic pickup choice too. Only thing I might change if it was me is to go with an STK-S6 neck pickup - same tone, no hum.

Are you just going with the locking tuners or with a lock nut also ?

Look forward to seeing some pics of the instrument.

If you're not a real extremist with the Floyd,  consider skipping the locking nut.  Locking tuners with a well-cut nut will do just fine for most vibrato-bridge applications.  The locking nut was required before tuner design caught up with the two-point trem designs that emerged in the 80's.  With high-quality locking tuners, it's a much different ball game.

If you're an insane-dive-bombing, Steve Vai-channeling twang-bar-freak, of course, your mileage may vary.

Although I guess you're bragging about having ordered the gear, so I'll shut up.  Take this advice into consideration for your next build, though, which you will begin planning the moment your box o' parts arrives and you see how beautiful it all is.

Rocktrond said:
Locking tuners are mostly for faster/easier string changes.

Nonsense. Locking tuners are for keeping the thing in tune under duress. While they do allow for faster/easier string changes, that's just a happy side effect. What's great about them is you don't have to have several wraps of string on the tuner post which will relax and not re-tighten evenly when you use the vibrato, which puts the instrument out of tune. If locking tuners would have been available back when Mr. Rose came up with his bridge design, it's unlikely he would have conceived of the locking nut. Wouldn't have been necessary. Also wouldn't have needed those goofy micro-tuners and the whole thing would have been much simpler mechanically. See the Wilkinson bridge, and all the variations thereof.

I was not making a general statement, just clarifying the main reason why I'm putting locking tuners on this guitar which will have a locking nut as well. I've had (and still have) several guitars with Floyd trems (since my very first guitar bought almost 25 years ago), and have others with locking tuners, and know both systems well :)

Whatever floats your boat. You're the one who has to live with the system, so it's important that you're happy.

Thanks for the reply. I just wondered if you were trying an option without the lock nut but can understand the ease of restringing aspect.

I think at least a few if not more of us on here tend to consider all sorts of ways to do stuff and take an interest in what others are building.  Which is a lot of the fun.

Oh it looks sweet

https://m.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.720785827939491.1073741829.100000242413025&type=1

But the humbucker hole in the pickguard is slightly to small :(

Those of us you will not play the 'Face' thing re not allowed ''in'' to see your pics...just sayin'...

Ok - here are the picks :)

(I filed the hole for the humbucker in the pick guard - no patience to complain to send it back and get a new one)

Is it normal that there are no screws for attaching the pick guard to the guitar in the package?

I might have been a bit quick in ordering - forgot pots and switches as well.....
Well these are luckily things that are easy to get locally :)

Strap buttons? Jack? Wire... Warmoth only sells parts because it helps sell necks and bodies, there are some things that look as though they just break even. But they don't want to become a hardware dealer. I think their $25 minimum is supposed to keep out the people who want one knob at a time.... :laughing7: I usually try to do a "geographical" run before I order - from the very top of the neck to the bottom strap button. But like you said, the little stuff is easy.

Did not get the RS parts I initially wanted - so I ended up with a couple of Bourns Model 82 Vintage Premium Guitar Potentiometers, and some Switchcraft parts. Should be of a good enough quality I assume.

Back