Pot help again

JimBeed

Now im just about to install the capacitor to the tone pot, then i realised, wait the packets dont say which is the 500k pot, and which is the 250k pot that i ordered  :dontknow:
now does anyone know how you can tell which is which.
the only differences i can see is in the middle of the bottom of each theres the inside of the pot which is either a black colour on one, or white on the other.
the other only difference is one has a number then 30 whilst the other has a number then 31.
So any help?
there both from warmoth

If you are looking at the pot, with shaft pointing towards you, and the lugs down, there should be a small area above the shaft facing you that has A500K or A250K on it.  These can be under a little metal, but usually are discernible.  If the labels are not there, get a multimeter out and turn the shaft all the way one direction.  middle to one side will be 0 ohms, middle to the other side will be 250K or 500K depending on the pot.
Patrick

If 30/31 is the only difference in marking, you'll have to measure them, because I can't think what those codes would represent.

well also say 0817 on one and 0924 on the other but ive looked at other places and they say this is month and day i believe.
and Patrick the a500k etc isnt there, only says cts on the top, though thanks for the help.
Annoyingly i dont have a multimeter nor the money to buy one. as the tool buying has left me skint.
Ill wait till i get a reply from warmoth or find some other help incase.

the 250k was for the neck pickup and the 500k was for the tone, and i didnt want to solder the capicitor onto the wrong one.
as i believed 250 was better for single coil, whilst 500k was better for humbuckers and tone.
the bridge has a 500k push pull as its going to do series parrallel aswell.
just realised i found the 250 k packaging and to my mistake it did say on that which it was, if only hadnt taken it out of the packaging :/ ah wel my fault.
and my email to warmoth wasnt hostile thankfully as i thought for a start they hadnt given me any clue which was which.

Take 'em to the local Radio Shack, or anybody like that who sells multimeters. Tell them you're looking to buy a meter because you have problems like this from time to time, and see if they'll do you a favor and measure the pots for you. It only takes seconds, so it's not like you'd be putting anyone out.

Actually think ill have problem solved, old bass teachers coming so likely he might have one, ill ask him to bring it, i dont mind putting the electronics off bit longer, need to wait for his help to position pickups best i can anyways.
Cheers though guys.

Back