Post what you're listening to!

So this popped up in the suggested videos on YouTube, and it's a really mixed bag. The long intro to Cliffs of Dover includes a gorgeous interpretation/interpolation of Joni Mitchell's "Clouds," and is worth the click through just for that. Then we get into the C. of D., and EJ's absolutely all over the place, so much so that I was getting genuinely angry at how out of sync he was with the rhythm section. I dunno if he cannot hear himself, or the band, or what - but wow. Come for the intro; don't necessarily stay for the main course.

Having seen Eric Johnson live many years ago when he was absolutely amazing, I have been surprised about the videos on YT where he has been out of synch and shredding with less finesse. It is hard to say if he can’t hear himself, it age is starting to show, or what.

Let’s hope that Eric won’t get them ”Yngwie syndrom”, starting to play totally mindless stuff (like Yngwie has been doing for the last few decades). Yngwie had an amzing technique when he was at his prime, but after … maybe around 1990 it changed.

Yngwie still has an amazing technique, and can probably run rings round anyone on this forum guitar wise, I wager. Whether you like what he does is another thing.

As David Coverdale might have said, here's a song for ya...

Mistreated, Glenn Hughes, Yngwie Malmsteen, Brian Tichy, Marshall 50 years of Loud 22 Sept 2012

Yngwie still has an amazing technique, and can probably run rings round anyone on this forum guitar wise, I wager. Whether you like what he does is another thing.

As David Coverdale might have said, here's a song for ya...

Mistreated, Glenn Hughes, Yngwie Malmsteen, Brian Tichy, Marshall 50 years of Loud 22 Sept 2012

Haha, ”here’s a song for ya” - great reference!
I was referring to how he played in the past compared to how he plays nowadays, and yes, I agree that I don’t think anyone on this forum has a better technique. However, I saw him live when he was about 18 and he had an amazingingly accurate technique already at that stage. So I listened to everything he did until about Odyssey, but after that I felt it started becoming repetitive, and worse. Having said that, the video you linked definitely shows a quite good performance of Yngwie.

Haha, ”here’s a song for ya” - great reference!
I was referring to how he played in the past compared to how he plays nowadays, and yes, I agree that I don’t think anyone on this forum has a better technique. However, I saw him live when he was about 18 and he had an amazingingly accurate technique already at that stage. So I listened to everything he did until about Odyssey, but after that I felt it started becoming repetitive, and worse. Having said that, the video you linked definitely shows a quite good performance of Yngwie.

A lot of Yngwie's earlier work and material was certainly groundbreaking, I agree so I can see that point of view.

That was a great performance, I was there and in person some of his improvised parts had so much feel etc it made your hairs stand on end, especially in a large venue.

Speaking of Coverdale...

Ah, Sir David Coverdale. What a great singer and performer! And what lungs he has, like when he screams ”are you ready” it could blow my speakers!
Regarding experiencing the ”Marshall 50 years” event - that must have been something!

Last edited:
Ah, Sir David Coverdale. What a great singer and performer! And what lungs he has, like when he screams ”are you ready” it could blow my speakers!
Regarding experiencing the ”Marshall 50 years” event - that must have been something!

Yes, it was a very cool event. A lot of great artists performed, it is a shame that there was not a DVD made of it.

David Coverdale is also originally from a similar area to me and where my grandparents had a holiday place. I remember bumping into him, probably around the time he had just joined Purple or just after, when I was still at school. At the time, I did not know who he was but realized shortly afterward when I saw his picture on an album cover.

Last edited:
Yes, it was a very cool event. A lot of great artists performed, it is a shame that there was not a DVD made of it.

David Coverdale is also originally from a similar area to me and where my grandparents had a holiday place. I remember bumping into him, probably around the time he had just joined Purple or just after, when I was still at school. At the time, I did not know who he was but realized shortly afterward when I saw his picture on an album cover.
Oh, wow! This kind of means that you are a rockstar, too! :)

This is what's great about live music in the festival context: Folks you wouldn't otherwise hear playing together come in and lay down some amazing work. Frisell and Lindley:

And speaking of non-wimpy music, here's the late, great Lindley showing us how to play a dark blues on the oud:

Vulfpeck spin-off band Fearless Flyers showing us how to play funky. Concert video dropped just the other day. This is fun!

Vulfpeck spin-off band Fearless Flyers showing us how to play funky. Concert video dropped just the other day. This is fun!

@bagman67 I must admit that I have lost track on where Cory Wong is, who is in Vulfpeck and who is in Fearless Flyers. But one thing is for sure - they are all funky to the max! This was great - thanks for sharing!

Back