Post what you're listening to!

The curious thing is, after checking out some different performances, that those extremely long bass strings are hardly ever directly strummed. From what I understand, it's mainly them going into sympathetic vibration when one of the 'regular' bass strings is strummed, which gives the instrument its distinctive timbre. Fascinating instrument. And, in contrast to so many other 'fascinating' instruments, very enjoyable to listen to.

Every once in a while this guys material is among my favorites. Sort of unclassifiable, great stuff:

[youtube]Byfwibrif9k[/youtube]

Been listening to the new Gojira album on repeat lately, for all us metal guys.  :headbang5
I love the production of their albums.

Dunno where I was when Shawn Lane was alive and in his prime, because his stuff's right up in the same territory of other music I was listening to at the time.  But anyway, here he is with Felix Sabal-Lecco on drums and Jonas Hellborg on bass.  Fasten your seatbelts.

[youtube]BsNgsFO6X4Y[/youtube]

Willie and The Family on Austin City Limits, 1974. Doesn't get any better than this.

[youtube]HLfAmIWKIt8[/youtube]

Anyone with delusions of adequacy is welcome to have those delusions flamethrower'd by John McLaughlin and Jonas Hellborg:

[youtube]BphTJonmlnM[/youtube]

I saw them play in my hometown a long time ago, but in a band constellation, not as a duo.
I absolutely love McLaughlins playing on his nylon string guitars. Amazing.

from an old favorite album of mine - by Robbie Robertson, who was formerly with The Band

[youtube]RtydfD2iyeY[/youtube]

pabloman said:
Which band??

Tell me you're kidding. If you're not, The Band was their name (they were Bob Dylan's back up band before going on their own). The name came from their being "the band" for a number of different artists before becoming their own entity (starting with Ronnie Hawkins' The Hawks between about 1958 and 1963).

This isn't guitar-centric, but I can't stop listening to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRP6egIEABk

I hope that our few remaining friends
Give up on trying to save us
I hope we come out with a fail-safe plot
To piss off the dumb few that forgave us

I hope the fences we mended
Fall down beneath their own weight
And I hope we hang on past the last exit
I hope it's already too late

And I hope the junkyard a few blocks from here
Someday burns down
And I hope the rising black smoke carries me far away
And I never come back to this town again in my life

I hope I lie
And tell everyone you were a good wife
And I hope you die
I hope we both die

I hope I cut myself shaving tomorrow
I hope it bleeds all day long
Our friends say it's darkest before the sun rises
We're pretty sure they're all wrong

I hope it stays dark forever
I hope the worst isn't over
And I hope you blink before I do
And I hope I never get sober

And I hope when you think of me years down the line
You can't find one good thing to say
And I'd hope that if I found the strength to walk out
You'd stay the hell out of my way

I am drowning
There is no sign of land
You are coming down with me
Hand in unlovable hand

And I hope you die
I hope we both die

You got that right. And the helluvit is, those guys weren't "jammin'"; I'd bet dollars to donut holes they could play it again note-for-note.

mrpinter said:
pabloman said:
Which band??

Tell me you're kidding. If you're not, The Band was their name (they were Bob Dylan's back up band before going on their own). The name came from their being "the band" for a number of different artists before becoming their own entity (starting with Ronnie Hawkins' The Hawks between about 1958 and 1963).

I was joking. My dad is a huge Dylan fan. He made me watch The Last Waltz when I was 14.

The Pack A.D. have a new record.  I confess that I'm in love with the (psychotic) lead singer:

[youtube]-j0AyQ1D6Mw[/youtube]

... She's pretty much everything I want in a woman:

PACK9.jpg

Back