Post What Heavy / Progressive Rock You Are Listening to...

Here’s something brand new. The song(s) is not at the same level as the old Extreme songs, but Nuno definitely still delivers!

Here not only Nuno is on fire, but the song grooves better, too

Last edited:

Golden Earring - Radar Love (Official Music Video [HD])​

A few notes, Golden Earring had a hit with this track in 1973 both in the UK and the US. They are from Den Haag in the Netherlands, in the video you can see a signpost on the road for Den Haag.

In 1973, I thought wow, they are from the Netherlands and are singing in English and at that time even though you can get to Amsterdam by plane from parts of the UK in about an hour it seemed to me a world away as I was about twelve at the time.

One of my Dutch neighbours is a friend of George Kooymans the guitarist who sadly has ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) and due to this the band disbanded in 2021.

Back in 1973 I never could have imagined that I would end up living and working in Amsterdam and being married for many years to my Dutch soulmate who sadly passed away last year.

Last edited:

A few notes, Golden Earring had a hit with this track in 1973 both in the UK and the US. They are from Den Haag in the Netherlands, in the video you can see a signpost on the road for Den Haag.

In 1973, I thought wow, they are from the Netherlands and are singing in English and at that time even though you can get to Amsterdam by plane from parts of the UK in about an hour it seemed to me a world away as I was about twelve at the time.

One of my Dutch neighbours is a friend of George Kooymans the guitarist who sadly has ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) and due to this the band disbanded in 2021.

Back in 1973 I never could have imagined that I would end up living and working in Amsterdam and being married for many years to my Dutch soulmate who sadly passed away last year.
@stratamania Great story and good memories!
I had a similar feeling about music, e.g., if it was not coming from the UK or the US it was coming from some strange place 😜 I played in a band when I was a kid, and one of the songs we played was Radar Love. Good memories!

I did not know they were Dutch … great song and a lovely memory, speaking of Dutch does this count …
@Rick I remember this. There was a music show called Beat Club, I believe from German that managed to gather all the best bands in the world (seriously) to that show. So if you performed on Beat Club, and big part of Europe knew about you. There actuall is a YT channel where those shows can be seem, pretty nostalgic (from some 40-50 years back in time)

Ann Wilson - the best female rock singer in the world, and some pretty damn good classic songs performed amazingly well live.
I saw them live 20 years later at the Mountain Winery in Saratoga (a bit further south of Mountain View where this concert was recorded) and they sounded great then, too!

Another band with both Van Halen brothers, who had Dutch roots. It probably accounts for the huge variety of stuff @aarontunes plays.

Van Halen - Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love (2015 Remaster)

Also Adrian Vandenberg, who played with Whitesnake is Dutch, so quite a few excellent players from that country.
But VH is definitely the most well known "Dutch band" - and my all-time favorite band.

pure American
Definitely pure American dream, coming from a very poor, black community and commencing on a breath-taking and utterly successful career lasting for more than 50 years. And the tough life started when she was young and continued through her marriage with Ike. One of the toughest and most hard-working people in the business, that’s for sure. And she performed with the same energy as in that video when she was 70+. Hats off to Tina Turner!

Thanks for sharing this, John, and for the nod to your late and beloved wife. I have actually spent a lot of time listening to GR over the last few weeks, exposing my 11yo son to the stuff I listened to as a kid. Twilight Zone is another fun one, practically omnipresent on early-80's MTV, and my first exposure to this great band. Golden Earring had a couple of big hits here in the states, but I'm under the impression they had a much more eventful career in Europe. And of course Radar Love has been covered by a huge number of artists, sometimes for better, sometimes for much worse.

Back