Post What Heavy / Progressive Rock You Are Listening to...

The guy in the Kansas analysis mentioned a musical "device" which reminded me of this classic song, which leaves us as prisoners of our own device.

Eagles - Hotel California (Live 1977) (Official Video) [HD]

Out of the bands I have seen live, the best live sound has been produced by The Eagles and Steely Dan. Absolutely amazing considering how many instruments (incl. voices) they have (when I saw Eagles live they even had a string section on stage). Such …. classic bands!

And of course, a classic rock thread has to have at least one version of Smoke On The Water.

Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water (Official Vinyl Video)

Smoke On The Water (Live In Osaka, Japan / 15th August 1972 / Original 1972 Mix)

Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water at the Montreux Jazz Festival, 2007.

Talking about Deep Purple, what do you think about Simon McBride?

Talking about Deep Purple, what do you think about Simon McBride?

He seems to be a very capable player. I cannot say I have heard much of him apart from some live videos since he took over the touring with DP. Though I don't think he quite has the qualities of Morse or Blackmore, but those are big shoes to fill.

Last edited:

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II (Remaster) [Official Full Album]​

0:00 "Whole Lotta Love"
5:33 "What Is and What Should Never Be"
10:19 "The Lemon Song"
16:39 "Thank You"
21:28 "Heartbreaker"
25:42 "Living Loving Maid (She's Just a Woman)"
28:22 "Ramble On"
32:55 "Moby Dick"
37:17 "Bring It On Home"

Last edited:
I’ve been revisiting Zeppelin lately, playing along their songs, and enjoying so much. I used to listen to them all the time, then for many years I didn’t, then I saw some YT videos where they analyzed Zep songs, and now I am back :)

@Rick Are you trolling or something?
Why post things in a thread that are clearly off-topic when there are other more suitable threads?

The Pretenders are new wave, punk, alternative rock. But they are not Classic Rock.

Last edited:
Toto - Africa (Official HD Video)

I might be stretching the ”classic rock section” rules here (sorry!), but just a few days ago I watched this video with Luke telling the most fantastic (and raunchy!) stories about studio sessions with an amazing array of artists. Man that guy has played on every record with every artist! Beato did a good interview with him, too, but this is so much more fun!

While Springsteen may have been born to run and have classic status as an artist, I would not play his stuff at a classic rock show. @Rick if you are not sure what the genre is, maybe better to post in the generic music listening thread.

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III (Remaster) [Official Full Album]​

0:00 Immigrant Song
2:26 Friends
6:20 Celebration Day
9:50 Since I've Been Loving You
17:14 Out On The Tiles
21:21 Gallows Pole
26:19 Tangerine
29:31 That's The Way
35:08 Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp
39:25 Hat's Off To (Roy) Harper

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV (Remaster) [Official Full Album]​