Post What Heavy / Progressive Rock You Are Listening to...

Saw someone posted up PF Animals. Anyone else here licks and progressions on it that are repurposed on The Wall?

Grand Funk Railroad. A band I started listening to pretty soon after their live album in 1974 and dug a lot. Unfortunately they did not (as far as I know) tour anywhere close to my country, so I have not experienced them live. Great musicians, great harmonies and of course the singer-guitarist Mark Farner. I actually didn’t like his guitar sound at time, but have learned to appreciate it as one part of the overall Grand Funk sound.

Out the songs they performed, ”Heartbreaker” was the one I always went back to.

And here’s an entire concert, in case someone is interested:

Thin Lizzy, another all-time favorite band of mine (there’s many 😜). I saw them live in 1975 in front of 1000 ppl and then two years later in front of 30000 ppl. Equally great performances, with the first being more ”intimate”. I thought I’d post a couple of performances from a tribute concert, as Gary Moore is (surprise, surprise) a favorite guitar player of mine. And these performances are great

Deep Purple Made In Japan was my favorite album for years and years. And then in 1978 another album ”hit me” hard. It was the first Van Halen Album. I remember sitting in a back seat of a an old Chevy on a Saturday night when the driver said ”I have a cassette for you, I think you’re gonna like it”. And suddenly ”Running With The Devil” was blasting through the speakers. At the same time the car took a turn, and as there were no seating belts - and the door was not properly closed - I almost fell out of the car! Fortunately nothing happened - but I will never forget when I heard that song (and album) for the first time. Unfortunately I didn’t get to see them live until in 2009. I wish I’d been in the audience here:

Last edited:
From Joe Walsh (actually Barnstorm, but the label decided to put it out as a Joe Walsh album), one of my favorites:

And the live version, for the 1976 live album and also taped for Don Kirshner’s Rock Concert, featuring among others Don Felder on second guitar, Joe Vitale on drums and flute, and Willie Weeks on bass:

Back