POLL: What is your favorite guitar neck contour?

What is your favorite guitar neck contour?

• Standard thin

Votes: 91 33.8%
  • Boat

Votes: 26 9.7%
  • Fat

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • SRV

Votes: 16 5.9%
  • Clapton

Votes: 13 4.8%
  • Wolfgang

Votes: 13 4.8%
  • Wizard

Votes: 26 9.7%
  • 59 Roundback

Votes: 64 23.8%

• Total voters
Standard thin
Eric Clapton V
Hard V( I had a Jackson when I was 14 and it had a very hard v neck on it and I cant find anything like it. I guess I could shape my own v neck)

I played a Peavey Wolfgang for so long that I can't get used to much else. I like the Clapton V though. This latest build is a standard thin. I don't have strings on it as of yet but I don't think I'm going to dislike it. I really don't like real thick, fat necks though, even though I have large hands.....I can palm a basketball.
MULLY

I have only tried the standard thin as I am afraid to try anything else.  What do you do if you get a boat contour and you don't like it?  Less popular = hard to sell...  :sad1:

A friend ordered the SRV and I tried it. I loved the asymetric profile, a much thicker SRV it would be my favorite neck profile.

I used the fatback on my first build and feel compelled to use it again....oddly it dosn't make playing more difficult as some might think, though others who played it noticed its thickness immediatly....though the thought of using the 59 round back is tempting because it has a slight taper.....so many options, so little time and money...lol :laughing7:

Superbeast520 said:
I used the fatback on my first build and feel compelled to use it again....oddly it dosn't make playing more difficult as some might think, though others who played it noticed its thickness immediatly....though the thought of using the 59 round back is tempting because it has a slight taper.....so many options, so little time and money...lol :laughing7:

Interesting that you say that.  I've got a 59 roundback tele neck that I plan on letting go of in the new year.  It's a basic maple/rosewood neck, 1 11/16 nut with, clay dots, with a nut cut and installed.  Previously held PW tuners.  Oh - and stainless frets.

ya interested ? :)

Sorry only buy Strats with 1 5/8ths nut widths ,....Im using exotic wenge on this next one, but appreciate the offfer...

mayfly said:
Interesting that you say that.  I've got a 59 roundback tele neck that I plan on letting go of in the new year.  It's a basic maple/rosewood neck, 1 11/16 nut with, clay dots, with a nut cut and installed.  Previously held PW tuners.  Oh - and stainless frets.

ya interested ? :)

i might be, though. i've been looking for a tele neck for my squier 51. have been debating between going with a mighty mite neck or a nice warmoth one. i'm short on cash, but if you weren't planning on selling tomorrow that might not be too important yet  :icon_biggrin:  definitely interesting, though! i can't decide on the standard thin... it's a little thin for me, but i'm worried the '59 might be too big. definitely willing to give it a try though! i've never really met a neck i was 100% comfortable with. guess i'm just picky.

I have small hands so the standard this is my favorite  If the neck is too thick it affects my reach on the fret board.

IMO. The Pro-Construction CBS Fatback or Boatneck profiles with 6105 SS wire are the best Strat/Tele necks available anywhere on the planet. The more wood in the neck the more tone, the more stability, the more longevity. If you think it's too big, warm up on a classical guitar with a 2 inch nut width and a Boatneck or Fatback will feel like a toothpick.

I found that the Clapton just fit in my hand perfectly.  I did purchase a standard thin to try it out and see how I liked it.  I'll know more when the build is complete.

i think a nice D profile on their necks would kickass, im probaly gonna order a fatback and then sand is down to a nice D profile, something tells me sanding a standard thin will turn it into a wizzard shape, not up for that one like.

NovasScootYa said:
...If you think it's too big, warm up on a classical guitar with a 2 inch nut width and a Boatneck or Fatback will feel like a toothpick.

I have a classical guitar, FAT is thicker! I don't like the U shape on the FAT, a C shape (around 0.94") is missing from the shapes they offer.

[bringin' it back from the dead]

Only tried the 59 roundback ... but I'm LOVIN' IT!!  :headbang:

[EDIT] Now have a fatback tele too which is very cool ... but still prefer the 59

I've used them all except Wizard which is obviously too thin for tone especially with a beefy Pro Construction truss-rod IMO. A Boat, Fat, SRV and 59 Round Back are all numero uno. The SRV profile is an all around excellent choice for those trying to decide between a '59, Fat or Boat profile. The SRV is all of those rolled up into one.
Clapton and Wolfgang profiles are very good choices and feel good with 6105 SS wire.
I've built one instrument using a standard thin profile, nothing wrong with it other than 6 better choices.
1) Boat  
2) Fat  
3) SRV  
4) 59 Roundback
5) Clapton
6) Wolfgang  
7) Standard thin
8) Wizard  

I got the upcharge Wizard on one, but I have to say I'm just as content with my standard thins too, not suprised that's winning. :guitaristgif:

hummm, a new poll but it doesnt let me vote?  ive only tried fender c and standard thin...  would like to try wolfgang!  so thats my choice.

Back