Plugging & re-drilling neck pocket holes

RobSm

Hi.

I am reworking s DIY bolt on neck to use threaded inserts.

It has an angled neck pocket.

Whereas with wood screws it was OK to drill straight through at 90deg to the back & let the wood screws bite, I figure the new holes will need to be at 90deg to the bottom surface of the neck ie the inner angled surface of the neck pocket.

I feel plugging & re-drilling the holes in the neck pocket would be safest.

But my dowling is too thin, & the other bit too thick.

So How do I 'thickness' dowling to get the right diameter?

Also is there another way instead of plugging & re-drilling?

Could I pack in some sort of epoxy & re drill after it hardens?...well I could..but would it work well?

Is there some other better way?

I'm using the kits from Roy Bullis at Onyx Forge.

Actually I drilled a 15/64 hole in scrap & was able to tap the dowelling in reasonably lightly. I might drill out the neck pocket holes & do as above before relocating & re-drilling.

Why in god's good thought would anyone put "zinc alloy" inserts on a guitar when brass and stainless steel ones are available?

-CB- said:
Why in god's good thought would anyone put "zinc alloy" inserts on a guitar when brass and stainless steel ones are available?

They needed you to educate them...

Ok...enlighten me...

I was browsing, saw the vintique multi hundred dollar pack & saw the Onyx forge page & offer. I believe that he is an engineer as well as guitar maker..

Onyx Forge was good to deal with and helpful.

I mean are we talking buying a Honda when there are Ferraris available?

Look I'm willing to learn, but so far there have been no problems.

What should I look out for?

Well.... zinc is ok I guess...  I mean... TOM bridges - zinc, stop bars - zinc... I think even some of the studs and such are zinc.  Zinc casts well.

You can use threaded inserts from McFeelys or such... there are a lot of threaded insert makers out there.

The BEST inserts I think... are machine screw outer thread and machine screw inner thread, for woods like maple.  You can literally drill and tap the wood, and when you thread it into the hole, use hide glue and you got a real forever insert there, and stainless too, never wear out for all the use we give it.  I dunno about zinc.  I got some zinc inserts I used in furniture, and I was less than wow'd.

hey i also had to plug and re-drill the holes in my neck pocket for a strat I was building to accept a warmoth neck.  since it was an alder body i used poplar dowel since it was the closest wood i could find to alder as a dowel.

i bought the dowel, cut a small piece off and put it in my power drill and held some sandpaper to the dowel as it rotated around until i had sanded it down to be a perfect fit for the old holes. i used regular elmer's wood glue and put them in and let em dry.

redrilled the holes and yahtzee...my neck fits.

I'm a little late to the party, but I did this recently with my Ibanez. I had a custom body made for it, but the luthier used a different model body (7421 vs. my 7321). The holes where slightly off - 1mm or 2. I just used some toothpicks and wood glue. Let it dry then redrilled. It's held up nicely ever since - about 2 months so far.

Back