Plastic spacer between neckplate and body (not a neck shim)

Neo Fender

Any recommendations for or against?  I've had "better" guitars without them and less expensive guitars with them.

Thanks.

I don't know if it does anything but look nice.  Might protect the finish a wee bit.  The lighter Colored  the guitar the better ... Some like Picasso others don't ... Personal preference

They tend to impart a certain "cheapness" to the look of the instrument, so I don't use them. I also don't see much value in protecting the finish under a neckplate, because there is zero chance of me ever switching over to ferrules. Seems kind of silly to use them, but to each his own.

I quite like them.  They can look like a frame or finishing touch.

I've seen them on Suhr's also but here's one of mine.

In the end it's a choice. Like anything else they can look good or bad dependent on context or the eye of the beholder.

The last 2 Warmoth finishes I got were their candy colors.  For whatever reason, they're softer yet chip easier too like they're more brittle.  I've gone back and added neck pads because the plate indented the finish.  The pads now cover up the blemish, but I've included a few pics of other areas like bridges and control plates where mechanical pressure has warped the finish.  I've brought it to their attention, as with all issues, call them first before posting on here, they assured it was common.

the finish where the control plate meets the pickguard:

the finish where the bridge meets the body:

It's done something similar under the neckplate, but seeing as they're strung up under tension, I don't care to remove the plates just for a picture.  One can still get the idea.

The other finishes I have which aren't candy finishes are fine, and I haven't put pads on them.

On a light colored guitar I also put felt between the strap pin and the body.  I also put black felt between the jack plate and the body.  Something else to think about.  I think it lends a "finished" air to the piece.  As before some people will think it doesn't make sense, some people like Picasso, others don't ...

Back