planet waves or Sperzel locking machine heads

dmraco

Master Member
I want to use locking maching heads on the les paul I am building.  Any experience, pros/cons with either the Planet Waves or Sperzel Locking systems?

Sperzels:
- I hate to install them, but others don't have a problem with this
+ Staggered for 6 in line

Planet Waves:
+ nice modern looks, the auto trim feature, easy install

both work great

Only con so far with PWs is if you put the string on like they say, so there are no wraps around the post, and your string happens to pop out, you can never get it back in. Basically you waste a string. Otherwise they work well.

I have always used schaller or grover but I am having a hard time finding them in Black

I've got two guitars with schaller tuners, and three with the Planet Waves locking tuners.

With respect to operation of the tuner, in my experience the PW is as good as the schaller tuners.

I personally really like the PW tuners - it's all I use now.

Never tried the Sperzels, but I have the PWs.  They're solid and the auto-cut is great.

GoDrex said:
Only con so far with PWs is if you put the string on like they say, so there are no wraps around the post, and your string happens to pop out, you can never get it back in. Basically you waste a string. Otherwise they work well.

So, would you be able to tune down later on if you wanted to or how does that work?

SrDeMaFp said:
GoDrex said:

So, would you be able to tune down later on if you wanted to or how does that work?

Yep you can tune down later.  When up to pitch, there is about a 1/4 turn of winding on the peg.  This will take you from full pitch down to completely floppy.

mayfly said:
SrDeMaFp said:
GoDrex said:

Yep you can tune down later.  When up to pitch, there is about a 1/4 turn of winding on the peg.  This will take you from full pitch down to completely floppy.

Nice, good to know! :icon_thumright:

Planet Waves with a fine tuning bridge is a nice combo and gives you a little bit of room to downtune if needed.

Using the topic...

Does anybody here knows other good locking tuners with the vintage "Fender" look without Gotoh?

Nothing, but is always nice to have options to choose :icon_thumright:
Perhaps there is one even better...

Thanks for the replys.  My Major delema is the holes in my neck are 11/32.  Most of these call for 13/32.  Most Vintage will fit the 11/32 but most of the machines I am looking at are 13/32.  Gotoh makes a locking "vintage" style, 11/32, but it does not come in black.

Without a good jig I am afraid to bore the holes bigger.  I am also using BLACK hardware whick limits my choice as well.

Do you have the neck in your possession? (sorry, haven't read the whole thread)  If it's still at W being made, then they could bore the holes for you??

If you already have it then you may need to be brave......

jimh said:
Do you have the neck in your possession? (sorry, haven't read the whole thread)  If it's still at W being made, then they could bore the holes for you??

If you already have it then you may need to be brave......

It is currently on its way with BIG BROWN.  I think a graduated round file should do the trick.  We are only talking about 1/16 of an inch.  I can gradually take out material until the tuners fit.  I just need to make sure it is straight.

Back