Placing a Tune-O-Matic bridge.

Jaxon

I am going to install a recessed Gotoh Tune-O-Matic bridge on my current project. I know that the bridge should be the same distance from 12 as 12 is from the nut. What I am confused about is where should the bridge be located in relation to this point. Should I center it on that point? Or align the front edge point? Or something else? Also, the bass end is always pulled back a little. Is there a rule for this or just eyeball it?

Actually you can place it just about anywhere in that general area. What you really want is the spot where the strings break over the bridge to equal the distance between the 12th and nut. This is what the adjustments on the bridge are for some are wider then others and have more adjustment to them.

The needed string length is never going to be less than halfway. If you push the high E saddle all the way forwards (towards the nut), and place that at the halfway point, there will be enough adjustment, given that it's angled too. Practically speaking the high E is usually 25 1/2" PLUS about 1/16", and the low E may be as long as 25 1/2" PLUS about 3/8", depending on string gauges. Think about what the bending down toward the fretboard does to the pitch.

Back