How deep is recessed cavity for Tune-O-Matic bridge cavity for Warmoth flat top ?

Unwound G

Putting a Bigsby on a Tele build. Not going to shim the neck to get a pitch. Thinking of a Tune-O-Matic bridge rather than notching the Tele Bridge plate to get string clearance.

Putting a Bigsby on a Tele build. Not going to shim the neck to get a pitch. Thinking of a Tune-O-Matic bridge rather than notching the Tele Bridge plate to get string clearance.

I don't know as I don't have one to measure, but if you think about it the final saddle height must end up similar or the same as a strat or tele bridge if that helps.

Warmoth has options for angled neck pockets, so a non-recessed TOM could work without shims, though I'd suspect you'd have to order it off-menu from them. I think stratamania's point stands though, the recessed TOM has to give the same geometry as any other bridge on a Tele.

Warmoth has options for angled neck pockets, so a non-recessed TOM could work without shims, though I'd suspect you'd have to order it off-menu from them. I think stratamania's point stands though, the recessed TOM has to give the same geometry as any other bridge on a Tele.

Non recessed TOMs would need an angle or a shim, otherwise the geometry would be out.

As @Knorris , although he does not post a lot, has detailed inside Warmoth knowledge the measurement he has given will be accurate.

Non recessed TOMs would need an angle or a shim, otherwise the geometry would be out.
Exactly, Unwound G said he didn't want to shim, so I just wanted to point out that an angled pocket is an option that doesn't use shims. Of course, if he may not want an angled pocket either, if he wants Tele style geometry instead of something like an LP or Jazzmaster with the angled neck.

Not sure you need to recess a TOM. Look at a Bigsby B16 setup
Sure, that's clearly a TOM-style bridge that isn't recessed, but you need an angled neck pocket or a shim to make that work. Unless you're setting up to play sliiiiiide. ;)

A recessed TOM should work fine with a B5/50/500, without a shim. I'll caveat that the TOM is not my favorite bridge for Bigsby, but without knowing your other considerations (pickups, etc.), it may be the best tool for what you want to do.

Not sure you need to recess a TOM. Look at a Bigsby B16 setup

But the B16 does require a shim or angled neck pocket. They sit very proud.

Pics courtesy of TDPRI
img_0724-jpeg.1108400

img_0727-jpeg.1108402

Last edited:
A recessed TOM should work fine with a B5/50/500, without a shim. I'll caveat that the TOM is not my favorite bridge for Bigsby, but without knowing your other considerations (pickups, etc.), it may be the best tool for what you want to do.

But the B16 does require a shim or angled neck pocket. They sit very proud.

Pics courtesy of TDPRI
img_0724-jpeg.1108400

img_0727-jpeg.1108402
That's a pretty tele bridge plate!

I like what they did to compensate the bridge pickup height for the required neck angle

Back