Pics Of My Warmoth LP Parts

jtroska

OK, these pictures don't capture the brilliant color at all.  But I wanted to snap some quick pictures just to document the building process.  The lighting inside my house is too dingy for photography;  The camera flash screws up the color so I turned it off; And it's raining outside so I can't use sunlight.  Anyway...

This shows the starting point of my LP project.  I've always liked the look of Gibson Les Pauls but find them to be too muddy for the music I play.  So I'm building my own with a flat alder body (which will hopefully give the clarity), and a  25.5" maple neck (which will hopefully tighten the sound.  I hate the mushy sound of a 24.75")
CIMG1019.jpg

CIMG1022.jpg

PIC_0008.jpg

PIC_0009.jpg

PIC_0006.jpg

In real life, the colors are so brilliant and beautiful, I can't stop l looking at it.  As I go along, I'll hopefully be able to update this with better pics.

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Great looking!
Is finish amber dye over quilt maple?
Please post pictures when complete.

ventolino:

No, it's actually Yellow Dye over quilt.  The back is Transparent Yellow over alder.  Because alder is more of a tan wood than maple, the back is darker than the front and gives a really really nice two-tone look.  But Warmoth's "Yellow" is very similar to Gibson's "Amber".

The fingerboard is Pau Ferro, which I picked because I imagined its color working very well with the yellow.  And it does work perfectly.  The binding is Cream.

bpmorton777 said:
Nice LP! What's the back look like?

Brian

I forgot to snap pictures of that and I should have because even the back looks good.  It's just alder, which isn't usually a spectacular-looking wood.  But I happened to get a piece with some cool streaks and grains.  And the transparent yellow over the tan alder gives a classy brownish-yellow color that compliments the front nicely.

I'm a big fan of Warmoth headstocks on LP style guitars, it just looks soooo right to me.

RLW said:
I'm a big fan of Warmoth headstocks on LP style guitars, it just looks soooo right to me.

I'm thinking (hoping) it'll pull the strings across the nut at a better angle than the Gibson headstock.  The Gibsons pull the strings over the nut at a fairly intense angle and you can feel the ill effect when you tune:  Nothing, nothing, nothing, pop... suddenly went too far.

And although I like the look of Gibson Les Pauls, I don't want people accidently confusing mine for a Gibson.  The Warmoth fans will know and the rest can wonder or ask.  :glasses9:

Great looking pieces. Why alder, and, is there no heel contour? I thought heel contours were standard on LP.

That's awesome, man!  I can't wait to see the finished job!!!

What pickups and hardware are you going to use?

tfarny said:
Great looking pieces. Why alder, and, is there no heel contour? I thought heel contours were standard on LP.

sundin4prez is correct.  This is a Flat Top LP and only Carved Tops LPs come with standard contoured heels.  In hindsight, maybe I should have sprang the extra $35 for the contour but I think this should be fine. 

I wanted to try alder for a few reasons.  Mahogany would be the usual choice for a Les Paul but I find regular Les Pauls to be too muddy for the kind of sound I want.  And I've had so many mahogany guitars already. I tried a friend's Strat and I really liked the alder / maple combination on that.  But I prefer the way a single cutaway Les Paul hangs and swings over a stiff Strat feel.  LPs just look more "bad ass", imo.  So my Warmoth project will try to combine  my favorite aspects of different guitars I've played and liked.  Plus the yellow on alder makes a nice caramel color that works well behind the yellow dyed quilt maple. 

Back