Pickup Switch Restoration/Fix

texicus

I have an old Memphis guitar (random Korean brand from the 80s) that I'm in the middle of rebuilding.  I had originally planned to replace all the pots and switches, but I've ran into a problem with the pickup switch.  I can't find a 5-way Switch that will fit properly.  It's shorter than a regular Strat switch.

My original problem with the switch was that it crackled and sometimes wouldn't make proper contact.  Can I fix/restore these?  Cleaning contacts and whatnot?

Attachments

• IMG_5236.JPG
    IMG_5236.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 278
You can try cleaning and/or otherwise "refurbishing" it, but with switches and pots that's usually a temporary fix at best, and often a waste of time and energy.

Schaller makes something they call a "Type E Megaswitch", which is a 5-way blade designed for Strat-type applications.

41e59fSys1L._SX450_.jpg

Oddly enough, it's available through Amazon. It looks like it might be short enough for you - at least, it's shorter than a standard Grigsby switch - but I don't know what dimensions you need. There are drawings here, if you wanna compare to what you have or what kind of room there is. At $21 you hate to take a flyer on it, but it might be just the thing.

I just found where they provide a series of partially completed and completed schematics so you can create your own schematic or use a canned design. Nice stuff, as 99% of the technical/electrical data out there on guitars is in wiring diagram form, which is less than ideal.

Also, according to the mechanical drawings, the mounting depth for the thing is 30mm, which is roughly 1 3/16". I'm betting it'll fit.

I took the pickup switch apart to see if contacts weren't touching...no wonder it was crackling and had bad spots.

Attachments

• IMG_5237.JPG
    IMG_5237.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 285
Actually, it looks like a fairly sturdy design. An ink eraser might do wonders for those contacts and wipers.

texicus said:
I feel like I'm going to owe you a beer by the time I finish this!

Collectively, the forum owes Cagey enough beer to drown him a thousand times.  Don't sweat it.  He doesn't. 

Bagman67 said:
Collectively, the forum owes Cagey enough beer to drown him a thousand times.  Don't sweat it.  He doesn't.

By the way, you guys realise that Cagey will soon post his 20000th post/answer?
Should be commemorated in some way, don't you think?

Back