PCW Tele

I follow this guy on FB and instagram, and it seems he has a bevel fetish as well. Not that I'm trying to take anything away from you Phill, your bevels are really nice....
th

130274535_2872728979497120_5267823116674139369_o.jpg

That is nice! CNC work I suspect, as he was able to get the angle long enough to form an arm rest on the bass side. I'm pretty much limited to the angle length I have here because of the router bit size.
Someday maybe I can afford to get me one of them computater numerically controller thingies.............. :icon_thumright:

PhilHill said:
That is nice! CNC work I suspect, as he was able to get the angle long enough to form an arm rest on the bass side. I'm pretty much limited to the angle length I have here because of the router bit size.
Someday maybe I can afford to get me one of them computater numerically controller thingies.............. :icon_thumright:
Not cnc, all old fashioned hand work, other than a router...He even hand shaves the necks...$$$$$$$

Ahh, surprising nowadays to find someone who knows how to use files and scrapers. Excellent work........... :icon_thumright:

PhilHill said:
Ahh, surprising nowadays to find someone who knows how to use files and scrapers. Excellent work........... :icon_thumright:
Exactly, there are a bazillion guitar makers using cnc, and while I love cnc (obviously), it's just as intriguing to me to see things made old skool... :icon_thumright:

Status Report, put 3 coats of Tru Oil on the body let it dry then sanded back. Repeated that procedure. Then put two good coats of Satin Lacquer on and it is currently hardening.

X1aIzU.jpg

pHpxaV.jpg

. I'm thinking of using a Canary neck on this one. Have a 3 foot Tele bridge with notched sides and compensated saddles in chrome. A Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound Bridge pup and a Duncan Jazz Humbucker for the neck. Got some chrome Hipshot closed back lockers for the tuners.

28OzF1.jpg

. Ihad made a pick guard out of walnut veneer over birch base, but I'm not sure I'm happy with it. So I made up another out of solid Black Walnut and I'm trying to decide which to use.

clpwpe.jpg

. Meanwhile, I found something that you don't see too often. Some Curly Cherry.

m7xC3O.jpg

. So I glued it up and I may put it on top of this,

bO7Qrb.jpg

. An inch thick of Curly Maple. I made a template that matches that outline for a kind of mini 335 type of thing...................... :headbang:

Thanks! It'll come out alright if I can just manage to finish it without screwing it up.............. :laughing7:

Very swanky Phil, for what it's worth I like the PG on the left.

and what is the neck wood? :dontknow:

DangerousR6 said:
Very swanky Phil, for what it's worth I like the PG on the left.

and what is the neck wood? :dontknow:

Thanks. I'm leaning toward that pg too, I think.  The neck is Canary on canary, standard thin, compound radius, 1 11/16 nut width.  I almost thought about putting some padauk on the headstock, but I really don't have the tooling to do it right. At least not yet......... :icon_thumright:

Smack!..smack!.. Dummkopf!... Excuse me, just chastising myself for my foolishness.Don't know why, but I decided to start wiring up the controls on the pick guard. Literally ON the pick guard. Even though I knew better, so I have no one to blame but myself.

PpCLx5.jpg

. Ohh well, I wasn't completely satisfied with this guard anyway.

vgvglZ.jpg

. So, we start over ..again.

BySKq5.jpg

.    :doh: :doh: :doh:

Progress at last. Finished new pickguard. Still waiting on delivery of knobs and ferrules. Put what I have together to see if everything fits.  Sorry about pic quality, today was not my day for photos.

t0s3fD.jpg

5TrWlp.jpg

rKHWCl.jpg

. One ferrule hole decided to go wonky, but it's fixable.

JG01xF.jpg

.. Then took it all apart and started on the fretboard. To paraphrase the Beach Boys, "We'll have fun, fun, fun, til the fret's are crowned and polished todayyyyyyy." .......... :turtle:.

ApP83v.jpg

Thank you kind Folks. I appreciate the feedback, especially when it's complimentary.................. :icon_thumright:

Decided to try a ferrule plate this time as I had never used one before. So I got a cheap one to use for mock-up and am awaiting delivery of a higher quality one for final. Did the mock-up and thought, "Why not create an inset section so the plate won't stick out. The result;

9D5ELm.jpg

. That, of course meant that I had to do a little refinish work on the back so I'm waiting for it to cure now. Decided on chrome knobs, but I also have some black ones too if I decide they look better. Both are just plain dome top, knurled Tele knobs................. :headbang:

DangerousR6 said:
Very cool indeed....Some people call it a "Tone Bar".... :dontknow:
50944077571_1396034372_b.jpg

Nice, I take it that those are two more of your creations. I seen discussions on the pro and con of the effect such things have on tone. But then I've also seen discussions on the effect that strap pins have on tone...............I think most of the "tone"  comes from the player just as much as the instrument or it's constituent parts, but that's just me........... :icon_thumright:

Back