Padauk: Anyone familiar with the tone?

Raoul_Duke

I'm trying to put together a vintage sounding jazz (on steroids) with a modern look. I have read a few posts, and I understand that bubinga is similar to wenge. What about padauk? On the Warmoth site, it indicates that it's very similar to maple. Has anyone here used it for a neck, and if so, how does it compare to maple? Ideally, I'd like something similar to maple that doesn't need a finish and has a tiny bit more warmth. I was thinking a padauk-core/ziricote-fb combo. Thoughts?

EDIT: I'll be getting the 20 fret fingerboard, slim taper profile, and ultralight tuners, plus it'll be going on a stout body, so I'm not particularly concerned with neckdive. Just in case though, does anyone know if the nickel/silver frets are heavier than the stainless steel ones?

I chose Padouk because it supposedly had a tone similar to Maple, but could be played raw and had the exotic appeal.

It's hard to draw conclusions as to how similar it is to my Birdseye Maple/Goncalo Alves  neck, because that neck has an epoxy coating, versus my Padouk/Pau Ferro neck having a bare wood fingerboard, but I despise warm tones, and the Padouk sounds great to me, so I would say it's close enough to Maple that it's not warm.

I guess I've got nothing else useful to say. :blob7:

I have a padouk/ziricote and a padouk/pau ferro. I think it is difficult to say with any certainty how it compares tonally to my other necks (all canary, wenge/ebony, wenge/braz rose, all goncalo alves) because there are other factors to consider. Like pups, body, bridge, etc.

I did swap the padouk/ziri out for the padouk/pau ferro on the same black korina guitar. I liked the cleans more on the pad/ziri (it just sounded warmer and stronger clean, but that may not be what you want), but preferred the pad/pau ferro for dirtied up rock. Warmoth wood scale rates it on the higher end of the tone chart. I love both my padouk necks. I hate to make a suggestion though, because it is subjective.

Sorry if this is no help....had a few drinks tonight.

EDIT - It is indeed not warm, but the ziri fb made it a tad, tiny tad, warmer than the pau ferro board.

I noticed a "noticable" difference between my Quartersawn Maple/Brazilian Rosewood and Padauk/Pau Ferro neck.  I think the Brazilian Rosewood has a magic that makes it a little punchier and brighter, but my Quartersawn Maple/Indian  Rosewood is very similar to my Padauk/Pau Ferro, the maple just ever so slightly brighter maybe.  Here is a recent demo.

Wow, sorry, old thread.  Haven't been here in a while.  :laughing8:

[youtube=425,350]6NIeVIBBjBI[/youtube]

Snouter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a padouk / bloodwood on a korina body

http://www.sightsea.com/gallery/main.php

with the same electronics as my maple / ebony on a mahogany body.
From what I can tell there's more of a difference with the body woods than the neck woods. ( when playing unplugged )
It feels nice to play. The difference when plugged in, between the 2, is barely noticeable.

I have a padook-Pow! ferro neck on Spermy the Imprecision Bass, but I loo-ooove BIG bass necks, I think so much of the tone is in a stout & meaty neck.... it sound fine! And I play D'addario Chrome Flats on fretlesses, so any useful comparison to a Rotosound TWANG-type bass thang is improbable.

S6300105-1.jpg

And are you really, seriously, honest-to-Dog worried about the difference in WEIGHT between SS and nickel FRETS?!  Woo-Hoo!

BRANG! BRANG BRANG!

Commune the leadership - we need to establish prizes for this kind of thing!  :hello2::toothy10: :blob7:

stubhead said:
And are you really, seriously, honest-to-Dog worried about the difference in WEIGHT between SS and nickel FRETS?!  Woo-Hoo!

Hehe! I was a little surprised to see that question, too. Maybe it's going on the Space Shuttle, where cargo costs a bajillion dollars per gram <grin>

Back