How “shouldery” is the 59 profile?

PFDarkside

My favorite profile is the Fender Hot Rod ‘62/John Mayer neck. I’ve got both of these and another very similar Fender that all measure out at 0.835” at the first fret, I like the little extra chunk compared to the standard thin. However, neither of these feel very “shouldery” if that makes sense.

I know the 59 is a bit thicker, but I’m wondering about the actual profile itself. For those with a 59, does it feel substantially chunkier in the shoulders in addition to the extra depth? If I get an unfinished maple neck, is slimming down the shoulders a touch with sandpaper a reasonable task or do you need to carve with a more substantial tool?

Well being I haven’t played that Mayer neck, can’t really say. I have a 59 and it doesn’t have proud shoulders by any means in my book. About the same c profile enlarged.

By no means is it a U.

If you like the Fender Hot Rod 62 neck you'll probably love the 59 with a 1-5/8" nut width. I've owned both (not at the same time) and in my memory they are pretty similar.

For me the 59 is too big and shouldery with any other nut width.

I don't find my 1 11/16" 59 profile very shouldery at all.

Even a fatback isn't very shouldery to me.

They're both just large c shapes.

D shaped necks are the ones with what I would consider shoulders.

I like bigger necks, and my favorite profile to date is the boatneck. It sounds like a no go by the spec, but man, what a neck!

If you like the Fender Hot Rod 62 neck you'll probably love the 59 with a 1-5/8" nut width. I've owned both (not at the same time) and in my memory they are pretty similar.

For me the 59 is too big and shouldery with any other nut width.
Thanks Aaron, I appreciate your videos explaining the link between width and profile. I know you’ve mentioned that the 1.650” Wolfgang is your favorite, does the 1-5/8” ‘59 fall into a similar “girth/volume”? Any other combos that are your personal sweet spot? (Since you’ve had more experience with Warmoth’s profiles than many people here combined, I’m just trying to divine out some info from the tea leaves. ;))

Also, is the ‘59 the second most popular profile after Standard Thin?

Well being I haven’t played that Mayer neck, can’t really say. I have a 59 and it doesn’t have proud shoulders by any means in my book. About the same c profile enlarged.

By no means is it a U.

I don't find my 1 11/16" 59 profile very shouldery at all.

Even a fatback isn't very shouldery to me.

They're both just large c shapes.

D shaped necks are the ones with what I would consider shoulders.

I like bigger necks, and my favorite profile to date is the boatneck. It sounds like a no go by the spec, but man, what a neck!
Thank you both, great info.

I like the 59 with a 43mm. I also have two boats that I like. The two fatbacks I sanded down to boatesque and like now. Get the 59.

For the record. I have a boat and 2 59s all at 1 11/16. I’m good with either profile.
On a serious note it’s interesting that you both like the 59 and boat. I have the Fender equivalent of the boat and it’s nice having the depth without the shoulders.

Like Aaron said, the ‘59 with a 1 5/8” nut width feels a bit more like a deep “C”, wut wider than that feels like a bat. If your ddad set on a 1 11/16” nut, go for a wolfgang

For me, I've learned that on a small nut width I like a thicker neck, and on wider neck I like a thinner neck. So on 1 7/8th I use a thin c, on 1 3/4 a wolfgang, on a 1 11/16 a 59 and on a 1 5/8 use a boat neck. But you never know until you try them. As they say, you gotta crack some eggs to make an omelet, and there are always school fees in life.

On a serious note it’s interesting that you both like the 59 and boat. I have the Fender equivalent of the boat and it’s nice having the depth without the shoulders.
It’s probably because the boat offers less shoulders. Either at 1 11/16 I can execute bad technique and do wrap overs. Even for open chords of A/C#

I find a 42mm nut playable but annoying on any neck. I just don't find the 59 to be too thick or "shouldery" at all. I at first even liked the fatbacks with a 43mm for lazy thumb over blusey lead bending,(first bit of playing them I remember thinking omg I may be the next SRV lol)! but eventually found it too much wood for all around "universal" playing chording etc. YMMV
While I have not played a Warmoth std thin, I have played a few Fender modern C's that are similar, and are a travesty of thinness and heartache I think they were 42mm though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find a 42mm nut playable but annoying on any neck. I just don't find the 59 to be too thick or "shouldery" at all. I at first even liked the fatbacks with a 43mm for lazy thumb over blusey lead bending,(first bit of playing them I remember thinking omg I may be the next SRV lol)! but eventually found it too much wood for all around "universal" playing chording etc. YMMV
While I have not played a Warmoth std thin, I have played a few Fender modern C's that are similar, and are a travesty of thinness and heartache I think they were 42mm though.
I can only imagine your experience on an Ibanez!

Thank you for the info.

Back