Bubinga neck tone vs maple

Ghostnote

Not much info on Bubinga's tonality as a guitar neck but from what I've read so far and a Lazer Lloyd video, it sounds like maple on steroids. I've heard Bubinga is also more stable than maple. Anyone who has/had both care to chime in?

And which body woods does a Bubinga neck matches well with?

Steroids?  Nah.  Your body wood will have more effect on tone, though neck meat will have a little impact.  My experience is with a swamp ash tele body and all bubinga neck.  It’s like maple but a little warmer.  Swamp ash matched it well. 

rick2 said:
Steroids?  Nah.  Your body wood will have more effect on tone, though neck meat will have a little impact.  My experience is with a swamp ash tele body and all bubinga neck.  It’s like maple but a little warmer.  Swamp ash matched it well.

Cool. Do you find an increased bottom end and thickness like the description that Warmoth gave?

I agree with Rick2 - bubinga is a little warmer than maple.

I have a roasted maple neck on a mahogany body with maple cap - spanky sounding. My bubinga neck is on a mahogany body with a canary top - warmer and a touch more mids and bottom.

There’s a difference in shapes & bridges, one being a hard tail T and the other a vibrato S style, so not sure how much that biases the tonality. Either way, both are clear and bright, with the ability to cut through.

And others will say the tone follows the neck.

I would say you will not know till all of the parts are put together in combination what the final result will be.

Back