Pacific Northwest Strat Burn

Great Ape

I've become really intrigued by the woodburning thing, so while I'm waiting on the imminent delivery of the neck for the 'eagle guitar', i've started another, though in a completely different style. My idea was for a Pacific Northwest Indian-style design on a sort of driftwood-feeling body.
Although involving less detail than the other project, I found it more difficult simply because the style is so alien to me...but, gotta take the leap, right? (I gotta tell ya--drawing on paper is a whole lot cheaper than drawing on guitars!). The body is lightly flamed maple on chambered swamp ash...
PA190136.jpg
PA200137.jpg
PA210143.jpg

Someones got a new hobbie  :icon_biggrin:

Always watching with total admiration  :glasses9:

:blob7:  I approve !!

Updown said:
Someones got a new hobbie  :icon_biggrin:

Always watching with total admiration  :glasses9:

:blob7:  I approve !!
And I do it all for your responses!!! :laughing7:

I love you work, I am going to have to have you make one for me! I have wanted for a long time to have a matte white guitar with some graphic art on it.

Now I can have the best of both worlds, nice wood with a sweet burned-in graphic art!!

That style of artwork is known as Haida. First nations art is beautiful.

I can appreciate the commitment it takes to commit something to wood. Looks great!

Here's the body dyed and colored (all Trans-Tint dyes w/alcohol). By the way, I had a near disaster when I tried to add a coat of sealer between the amber and burgundy applications; sealer rips right through the dye, and smears it. Fortunately, there was a coat of sealer already on the body, and I snapped out of my state of shock quickly enough to wipe off the smear before
it could sink in at all. I would have preferred a slightly lighter, more grey (driftwoody) color, but this is what I've got, sort of a silver-brown, which I alternately think of as either the ugliest guitar color ever, or something quite unique...finished with 3 very thin Tru-Oil applications. 
PA270142.jpg
PA270144.jpg

rapfohl09 said:
I love you work, I am going to have to have you make one for me! I have wanted for a long time to have a matte white guitar with some graphic art on it.

Now I can have the best of both worlds, nice wood with a sweet burned-in graphic art!!
If you, or anyone else, is serious about a woodburned project, send me a PM and we can discuss it...it's gonna be a long winter-lotsa time for projects, and I believe I can see a doubleneck in my future...

That art looks like it was drawn for my favorite NW Tribe, Seattle SeaHawks  :hello2:

That's incredible. I'm envious. I'd like some of that talent applied to one of my guitars, but I can't imagine what to put on it.

Back