P-90's: Alnico 4 or 5?

m4rk0

Epic Member
Or lower?

how do they compare, and does it mean I need to sacrifice output for tone (or v.v.)?

I love what I have heard of the Rio Grande p90s, and they're pretty hot.. I am looking for a warm tone though, but not too muddy!
this is for a hollow (thinline) body with warm woods (korina) so I am looking for the right balance..
this is really hard  :confused4:

Not knocking anyone here....but, when someone says - I have a P90 and its (choose one) warm, bright, thin, fat, middy, etc  - its like saying I have a humbucker and its the same thing.

That is, we (mostly) all know that there is a tremendous range of flavors in humbuckers, but somehow seem to notice the obvious that P90's are the same.... (even though we all know Fender type single coils also have a huge range of flavors).  Go figure.

So, using the blanket term - P90, or even GIBSON P90 is not good.  There is simply too much variablity in all the different forms of P90's out there - even the same make and model etc.... such as - Gibson in the aftermarket pickups, has increased its windings about 1k from low 8's to low 9's, and that has made a marked reduction in the upper mids and high end.

FWIW, P90's should have two alnico V bars, and for me at least, about 7.8 or so is best for the neck, and 8.6 for the bridge.  But, I dont like really shrill bridge pickups either.  For a maple neck solid body, like a a Tele or Strat, you can probably add .5 to those numbers and have a real good tone too.

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8005

This thing had a very good use to me...

A shout out for a Lollar P90 in the neck; super clear, balanced treble response, and tons of character, sorry I'm not good at describing pickup sounds. You can take it in a lot of different directions. About 8k. Personally I much prefer the lollar to the rio grande that I had in it before.

The RG JazzBars/BluesBars are 10.5K/12.5K; JazzBars match up nicely with the 12.5K BBQ HB at bridge if doing a BFG type PU config. I prefer hotter pickups, Lollar might work better for a more "vintage" sound; you can get that sound out of the RG P90s, but still have a couple of notches left on the vol control for more "balls".

-CB- said:
Not knocking anyone here....but, when someone says - I have a P90 and its (choose one) warm, bright, thin, fat, middy, etc  - its like saying I have a humbucker and its the same thing.

That is, we (mostly) all know that there is a tremendous range of flavors in humbuckers, but somehow seem to notice the obvious that P90's are the same.... (even though we all know Fender type single coils also have a huge range of flavors).   Go figure.

So, using the blanket term - P90, or even GIBSON P90 is not good.  There is simply too much variablity in all the different forms of P90's out there - even the same make and model etc.... such as - Gibson in the aftermarket pickups, has increased its windings about 1k from low 8's to low 9's, and that has made a marked reduction in the upper mids and high end.

FWIW, P90's should have two alnico V bars, and for me at least, about 7.8 or so is best for the neck, and 8.6 for the bridge.   But, I dont like really shrill bridge pickups either.   For a maple neck solid body, like a a Tele or Strat, you can probably add .5 to those numbers and have a real good tone too.

I realize that, but the reason for the confusion is that most pickup manufacturors offer multiple flavors of hb's and sc's, but only one or two P90 variation.

Anyway, I am ordering P90's from Jon Moore (thanks to whoever on this forum recommended him!!) and he lets me choose the magnet type and # of winds.
Based on the feedback so far I am thinking about going for 2 Alnico 5's with 10k winds (neck) and 11k winds (bridge)
sounds good for a hollow korina/goncalo neck?

ask him what the k in winds equals in DC resistance..... that sounds a bit heavy handed in winds for a hollow body.

you want to get under 8k for the neck... then balance it with the bridge.  you can get something like 7.8 and 8.8 or.9.0 and be bout right

"that sounds a bit heavy handed in winds for a hollow body."

That might be true from the traditional sense, but I like hotter pickups in hollow bodies. Playing through lower wattge tube amps you just have to get used to 7/8 on a 500K volume pot being the new "10", and just diming it where you would typically hit a boost pedal.

On power... I agree.. but the P90s tend to warm up and lose their sparkle when they go hotter

Back