P-90 Fans; Talk to me...

bbl4ck

Hey, I need your thoughts...

I am nearing the end of my current build, so I am plotting on the next.

I have always loved the P-90 sound and not long ago someone posted the YouTube of Audley Freed playing his Goldtop.  I knew then that my next build must include P-90's
I know there were mixed reviews of his playing, but I am really down with the sound of his Goldtop.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTA0CV6ULtU[/youtube]

I have consistently read that Lollar made the best P-90's and after listening to clips, they sound great. 
Then I viewed the YouTube clip demonstrating the SD P-Rails.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZhJXcSVnfs[/youtube]

The clip of the P-Rails sounds great as well, but I am a bit weary of the one size fits all claim.

Anybody have any opinions regarding these two products.

I am thinking:
Lollar Underwound P-90 Neck
Lollar Overwound P-90 Bridge
Lollar Mini Humbucker Middle [possibly]

OR

Seymour Duncan P-Rails Neck & Bridge

Probably wrap it all up in a LP, or maybe a Soloist, or maybe an Explorer. 

Talk to me... :headbang:

I'm wary of the p-rails too - not completely sold on them.

btw  - that guy's playing in the p-rails vid is seriously annoying after a while :tard:

If you want P90s you HAVE to get lollars, they are considered the best around.

If it wasn't for the noise I would love to have some genuine p-90's. I've heard excellent things about Fralin P-92's, which sound like P-90's but are noiseless and fit in a humbucker route. Kinman now offers their own noiseless P-90's which actually fit in a P-90 route but I haven't heard much about them.

rockskate4x said:
If it wasn't for the noise I would love to have some genuine p-90's. I've heard excellent things about Fralin P-92's, which sound like P-90's but are noiseless and fit in a humbucker route. Kinman now offers their own noiseless P-90's which actually fit in a P-90 route but I haven't heard much about them.
With noiseless P90s you would loose some of that P90 vibe, just like if you got a strat noiseless, something would be missing, part of the P90 tone comes with noise

Rouse are you speaking from experience? I have lollars and I love them, they are my favorite pickup. But that is also my noisiest guitar which does bug me. I would be interested to hear some noiseless P90s before dissing them. I knew about the Fralin P92s but not kinman p90s. My strat with the noiseless areas doesn't lose anything at all in tone, I think the technology is finally there. Last week we had a 'strat off' and mine beat a custom shop job with kinmans for tone :)

To the OP: I am skeptical about the Prails, they just sound like the typical 'does everything just ok' kind of project. But I would like to hear them too.

Also, Fralin is now advertising 'noiseless P90s' - would love to hear a review if anybody gets them.

tfarny said:
Also, Fralin is now advertising 'noiseless P90s' - would love to hear a review if anybody gets them.

+1 on the noiseless Fralin's review if anyone has tried them!

Also, has anybody used P-90's with a humbucker?  Just wonder if they are happy with each other.  :dontknow:

Completely off topic... I wonder what two P90's would sound like in series...

My nose tells says stay away from the P-rails. It's like... going Variax (shudder)

tfarny said:
Rouse are you speaking from experience? I have lollars and I love them, they are my favorite pickup. But that is also my noisiest guitar which does bug me. I would be interested to hear some noiseless P90s before dissing them. I knew about the Fralin P92s but not kinman p90s. My strat with the noiseless areas doesn't lose anything at all in tone, I think the technology is finally there. Last week we had a 'strat off' and mine beat a custom shop job with kinmans for tone :)

To the OP: I am skeptical about the Prails, they just sound like the typical 'does everything just ok' kind of project. But I would like to hear them too.

Yeah Rouse I know you have none of the pickups that you talk so good about.  Maybe you should get some actual expirience with them first?  I dont mean to be rude.

But I can say that the lollar sounds great, and yes it is VERY noisy.  I would look into those fralins for sure if that bugs you.

I have a Phat Cat in my LP.  I don't really like it too much.. too beefy and not noisy enough, I really want to try a Rio Fat Bastard

So far the best P-90 sound I have heard is from my telecaster. its a deluxe and they're simple Duncan Designed P90s. cheap.. stock... But they sound friggen amazing.

bbl4ck said:
tfarny said:

Also, has anybody used P-90's with a humbucker?  Just wonder if they are happy with each other.  :dontknow:

Ever heard of Neil Young?

TBurst Std said:
bbl4ck said:
tfarny said:

Ever heard of Neil Young?

Hey,
Did Neil use P-90's & Humbucker combo?  If so, do you know what period or specific albums he played this on?  :dontknow:
I'd like to give it a listen...

Neil Young's electric sound comes from a totally unique rig - a microphonic neck firebird pup in a particular Bigsby'd 50s Les Paul custom, through an insane custom pedalboard into an original tweed deluxe dialed for pure meltdown. It's complicated and not P90.
P90 neck and HB bridge are a great combo, lots of guys on here have built them, it's also the Gibson Les Paul BFG setup.

tfarny said:
P90 neck and HB bridge are a great combo, lots of guys on here have built them, it's also the Gibson Les Paul BFG setup.

Hey,
Thanks tfarny!!!  I'll hunt down the Les Paul BFG...
Have a smooth night... :headbang:

tfarny said:
Neil Young's electric sound comes from a totally unique rig - a microphonic neck firebird pup in a particular Bigsby'd 50s Les Paul custom, through an insane custom pedalboard into an original tweed deluxe dialed for pure meltdown. It's complicated and not P90.

Close :)
It's a Firebird pickup at the bridge, metal (nickel?) covered P90 in neck position in a '53 LP Standard painted black. All covers on the back and the pickguard are aluminium, which apparently is important for the sound too. As far as I've heard, it's been serviced - apart from changing strings and pickups - once in his career, a recent refret.

Old Black, it looks and sounds like nothing else on this planet.

Back