OT: Confused about an e-bay listing

vox_rox

So I cam across this fleabay item today - for the 2nd time mind you, and I'm just a little confused about this, um, seller. Well, his approach actually.

Listing is here: http://bit.ly/13IXDqm

So, he says it's the last time he's going to try this or else he's going to put the parts back on it and sell it in his store. So what he's done is stripped this guitar down to sell the body/neck in one auction, and the parts in another.

So I guess my questions are:
1) why strip it of parts, then threaten buyers that if they don't buy it, he's going to, um, assemble it?
2) He says "IT IS A SET NECK MODEL LIKE ALL GOOD GUITARS" - wow, really? ALL good guitars. Hmm... is that true?
3) Am I the only one who thinks he's a bit of a douche?

I noticed he had one offer - it sure as hell wasn't me. Also, I love his ALL CAPS APPROACH - awesome.

Sad part is, as a complete guitar requiring work, I think it would be a cool project.

Peace
Pierre

vox_rox said:
1) why strip it of parts, then threaten buyers that if they don't buy it, he's going to, um, assemble it?

Individual parts often sell for more in total than a complete guitar, especially if it's not a major brand like Fender/Gibson/PRS. Not sure if that would be the case here, since the neck/body aren't separable and it's a Hofner.

vox_rox said:
2) He says "IT IS A SET NECK MODEL LIKE ALL GOOD GUITARS" - wow, really? ALL good guitars. Hmm... is that true?

Everybody's entitled to their opinion. I happen to disagree with him, but who am I?

vox_rox said:
3) Am I the only one who thinks he's a bit of a douche?

Tough to say. I don't know if I'd go that far, but I suspect he has an unsual outlook.

vox_rox said:
I noticed he had one offer - it sure as hell wasn't me. Also, I love his ALL CAPS APPROACH - awesome.

Maybe he doesn't have a lot of online experience, or isn't much of a writer. Not everyone communicates textually as effectively as we all might wish.

Breaking down a guitar to sell its individual components is a common practice.  As Cagey mentioned, the individual parts often sell for more than the complete guitar.
If this seller has tried to previously sell the guitar as a complete unit, it would be quite natural for the seller to break it down and try to sell the individual parts.
There are sellers on Fleabay that have business that only do just that.  They take whole guitars and break em' down to sell each individual piece separately.
One that I know of in particular is the Stratosphere http://stores.ebay.com/The-STRATosphere?_trksid=p2047675.l2563.
I have purchased from them several times and got some really good deals.  Quite often I am just looking for a particular part of a guitar and don't want to buy the whole thing to get the part I want...
Good luck if you choose to take on the project and  :rock-on:

Wow - I really need to stop posting to forums when I'm having a bad day. Seriously.

I didn't think I was that harsh, but when i read what I said, I'm actually a bit of a douche myself.

Cagey is certainly the voice of reason and wisdom, much appreciated.

My apologies for polluting this space with unnecessary vitriol.

Peace,
Pierre

Back