Online lessons

jasoncounce

I need someone to recommend online guitar lessons. Here’s my deal I have been playing over 20 years I can hold my own with most players but have hit a wall over the last 10 years and haven’t gotten any better. I’m self taught from the beginning and probably developed some bad habits that are holding me back. So I need someone to help correct those where I can get better. Especially in the area of faster picking and soloing. Thanks for any help

Have you considered in person lessons? The reason I say that is because you think you might have bad habits and a person actually watching you play might be able to provide more insight.

I've probably had 10 lessons from humans in my life.  I probably could use more of them.  What advances me the most is playing with other people and performing. Particularly the performing focuses the mind.

I started off in the days of punk rock in the late 70s so I'd ask my band mates what to do and I know I do all kinds of things wrong technique wise.

If I were to do lessons, I'd probably find someone local who has a good reputation.  If that can't be done, than anything is better than nothing. 

I do perform several times a month , and in a way that does make me better but not what I’m looking for. And there is not a advance guitar teacher within 50 miles of me.

spe111 said:
Have you considered in person lessons? The reason I say that is because you think you might have bad habits and a person actually watching you play might be able to provide more insight.

This is something I have been thinking about a lot recently.

My daughter has taken some saxophone lessons from her teacher who plays gigs all over the world, has a CD now on the jazz charts.
Plays with bona fide legends in all the storied clubs of Harlem, etc.

He is in his mid 60s, has been playing sax since he was 10.
He still pays for lessons with a teacher--and I think his teacher does too. All of those guys do. of course they are like Jedis or something.

Books and online lessons are a worthwhile thing, but there's something about having a real "somebody" to answer to that tends to drive you. Books and online instruction won't correct, criticize or cajole you. As negative as those kinds of things tend to sound, they're more than a bit essential. Books and videos aren't gonna bitch if you don't hold your hands/fingers right, don't use your metronome, etc.

Cagey said:
Books and online instruction won't correct, criticize or cajole you. As negative as those kinds of things tend to sound, they're more than a bit essential.

Having gone through art school I can say there is nothing quite as rewarding as having your soul ripped apart in a harsh critique.

Hurts like sin, but definitely toughens you up.

Seamas said:
Cagey said:
Books and online instruction won't correct, criticize or cajole you. As negative as those kinds of things tend to sound, they're more than a bit essential.

Having gone through art school I can say there is nothing quite as rewarding as having your soul ripped apart in a harsh critique.

Did it make you more creative?

Books and online lessons can be very good indeed or DVDs even.

But how self didactic are you?    Because you also need to be your own critic and evaluate weak points and work on them.

Truefire is well worth checking out for online courses and they have learning paths in different genres that start quite basic and onward from there to advanced.

Also well worth checking out for alternate picking etc is Steve Morse: The Definitive Steve Morse on DVD and Steve Morse: Power Lines.

Can you read, if so look out for Al Di Meola Picking Techniques.

stratamania said:
Seamas said:
Cagey said:

Did it make you more creative?

The creative drive was the same for most (could crush some) but ability to probe, test and focus the creativity --and avoid cliche, was certainly helped from having frank critiques.

I gotta ask, where do you live?  Maybe someone here knows a teacher in your area.

I've never had an in person lesson and I'm totally ok with that.  One guy I've been following on YouTube for the past two years is Ben Eller.  He releases a Weekend Wankshop video every week and has other lessons such as his Why You Suck at Guitar.  Some stuff is for beginners and some is for guys like me who've been playing for 32 years and still have much to learn.  Last year I learned to play the solo for Megadeth's Tornado of Souls after watching his video for it.  (I've still haven't ever heard that Megadeth song, but I've played that solo about 200 times).

[youtube]JAx3VU4WY38[/youtube]
[youtube]ra_TbQGH6wg[/youtube]
[youtube]CqqDp2tLbHA[/youtube]

I signed up for Guitar Tricks a while back and thought it was excellent. The videos are crisp, explanations are simple, and unlike typical online lessons, they cover everything from the very basic to the extremely difficult. Also, they do a great job of presenting a road map in which the lesson builds upon each other, but also offer the flexibility to simply jump in and work on hundreds of great songs. For me this is was much easier to follow because I always get stuck in a YouTube tornado and end up searching for videos rather than playing.

Back