Olde' Skully

I can't be bothered to look back through the thread to see if I've already done this, so if it's duplicative, too bad.

This is a really cool finish, Spud, and I'm steeped in admiration for your work.

Bagman67 said:
I can't be bothered to look back through the thread to see if I've already done this, so if it's duplicative, too bad.

This is a really cool finish, Spud, and I'm steeped in admiration for your work.

I really appreciate your kind words Bagman, thank you so much! :icon_thumright:

I hope they were not collected as a part of any kind of paid promotion I am not aware of! :laughing7: :icon_jokercolor:

I have a new switch and full size black Tele control plate on the way . Going to mod cavity to accept vol tone and switch. I tried a stacked dual pot and knob but it was too wonky. Made the guitar seem weirdly excited.

Well, I didn't like that either, next plan up!

Now just waiting for the neck. (2-3 weeks)? Maple/rosewood 6100's black dots, boatneck (I may reshape slightly if I decide to)

index.php

Attachments

• Skully needs neck!.JPG
    Skully needs neck!.JPG
    510.9 KB · Views: 149
index.php
Neck arrived.

Attachments

• Skully headstock.JPG
    Skully headstock.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 108
Decided to tweak things a little bit, so I took down the pics. Please stand by  :laughing7:

jay4321 said:
When you left off, I'd say it came out way better than I expected

Ye of little faith,  :laughing7: I thank you!. I am waiting on delivery of a couple more things so I can finalize it.

Doing some mock up's on cardboard to judge color and size of crystal rhinestone eyeballs.

index.php

New humbucker on the way too.  :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• Mock up.JPG
    Mock up.JPG
    353.8 KB · Views: 120
rick2 said:
Man those rhinestones look like they glow!

On the actual guit , I am going to set them in so they are not just sitting on top. To match the Duncan hot stack in neck, I am reaching back to hallowed antiquity with a bridge double black Dimarzio Super Distortion. :laughing7:

The Rhine River is so low now you should have  no trouble getting stones.

I really like the superdistortion.  Excellent choice.

Whew, front eyeballs installed. As the back is reversed, will be setting in black eyeballs, but that is maybe for another day as I am tired an libel to get sloppy  :laughing7:  Please look away if you are easily frightened!

index.php

index.php

index.php

Attachments

• Eyeballs front full.JPG
    Eyeballs front full.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 79
  • Eyeballs for Skully front.JPG
    Eyeballs for Skully front.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 83
  • Skully eyeballs headstock.JPG
    Skully eyeballs headstock.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 80
TBurst Std said:
I don’t to know (but feel to share) how long that took to do.  Tediously long I presume.

I believe it was around 4.5 hours, not too bad. It is slow and steady the diamonds er, I mean crystal rhinestones :laughing7: are 3mm i used a 3mm drill bit slowly by hand, (no drill) turning it back and forth to create the initial placement indent/hole then used a 3.5mm bit to just open up the top a tad so they would sit correctly flat. Then I used a needle applicator to put a drop of adhesive into each divot and placed the stone in with tweezers.
I had my reading glasses on high and a bright task lamp.
The back is gonna take longer as there are even more eyeballs. The only disruption in the pattern is the string ferrules.

That's pretty dang nifty.  If you ever feel possessed by the urge to do this again, maybe you could use a countersink bit to make the depressions for the rhinestones to sit in?

Bagman67 said:
That's pretty dang nifty.  If you ever feel possessed by the urge to do this again, maybe you could use a countersink bit to make the depressions for the rhinestones to sit in?
Thank you!

Ya don't own one the proper size, so I improvised. Not sure how soon I wanna do that again really! :laughing7: I decided to scrap plans for the back and leave it as is. However, I did use a punch and a drill with bit to modify the neckplate (forgive me Doug) to accept eyeballs. I feel that will be enough of them!
index.php

Maybe I will make a cool design on my jean pockets some day! :laughing7:

Attachments

• Neckplate Skully eyeballs.JPG
    Neckplate Skully eyeballs.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 63
Back