ok, I want a starcaster

DangerousR6 said:
I think they need to check the dosage of your Prozac... :dontknow:

:laughing7:

7ac05cd2fc6e11e2b8f522000a1fbce9_7.jpg

Here we go! Fender starcaster reissue, coming right up! You guys might enjoy this. TOM bridge, less gimmicky knobs and switches...

Think of this with a bigsby and some good pups... Like a cooler ES-335.

Also think of the modding possibilities, what with Warmoth in the game now.

Oh yeah, basses coming too. :headbang1:

DangerousR6 said:
StübHead said:
If we wanted things like "problems solved" we wouldn't be who we are. I mean, if you just filled a swimming pool full of melted Moose Tracks ice cream and sex kittens, your guitars strings would get sticky. So what do you do - grease the kittens? Play nylon-string graphite guitars in the shower? The human condition runs deep, son.
Seconded.

I have. I didn't mean to suggest that those were bad pups, but some boutique WRHB's blow the Fender reissues out of the water(or so I've heard).

The Fender reissues are cheap humbuckers in WR clothing.  They have a bar magnet on the bottome and a strip of wax to keep the coils positioned correctly for the large footprint.  The WRHB's by several boutique sources are much more true to the original.  I have a set in a Jazz Master and they are an odd beast, very single coil chimey, but still a humbucker.  Quite good with distortion, they are very distinct, not much compression so the Wide Range bit is a good description.  A bit heavy on the high end for me, but they do have a unique place.  The reissues are not much to talk about.
Patrick

Patrick from Davis said:
ಠ_ಠ said:
DangerousR6 said:

Think of this with a bigsby and some good pups
You ever played on a real set of WRHB's?
Patrick

I did, back in the days when they were new.

TBH I have never been impressed with their sound qualities. Bell like chime to them but also that flat 'thunk' sound when cranked. Closest approximation I can give folks is to say they are somewhere in the ballpark between a Jazzmaster pickup & a regular humbucker.

Even now, many years after my first hearing of them and after many rethinks about guitars and gear along the way, this remains one of my few original thoughts about guitars that has not changed. I know, I know, there's heap of folks who love them, but sadly I am not one of them.  :dontknow:

To me, this video reminds me of the sound from the WRHB. It's Dragon, a New Zealand band that made it so big in Australia, that we tried to claim them as one of ours! The guitar player did, in their early years in Australia, play a Tele loaded with WRHB & I did see them a few times. This sound on this video "April Sun In Cuba" reminds me of the type of sound he gained from the Tele loaded with WRHB on stage. I'd be surprised if the sound of the guitar on the recording is NOT a Tele with WRHB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHFFuukk9Y8

I admire the lengths that Telenator went to to source the original magnetic material and build some genuine replicas - if not but for anything to prove the point that replicas CAN be made.  :icon_thumright:

The current Fender WRHB and many boutique and production models are not anywhere near the same pickup in construction, and sometimes they merely are a regular humbucker in a larger cover.

But I don't quite get the euphoria about remakes, particularly ones that aren't using the genuine materials or are modded in sound to fit in with modern amps, digital technology.  :icon_scratch:

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
IIRC, the original WRHB had threaded magnets the pole pieces screwed in to.

Yes and to achieve that spec Lover employed a more workable magnetic iron instead of AlNiCo - CuNiFe. I think nowadays, most pickup manufacturers employ a workable AlNiCo that wasn't available back in the days that Lover worked this pickup out, to keep costs down.

The pole pieces are the threaded magnets.  There are other alloys that can be worked like the CuNiFe alloy, but Telenator said they didn't behave the same way.  Novak has made them cheaper yet, and he uses threaded rods.  I am guessing he got the other materials to work by trial and error.  I have a set of Telenators in my Jazzmaster (not the true alloy ones) and they sound fine to me, they don't sound flat.  I do like to crank things.  I always wonder how much the CBS era guitars affected the thunk factor.  It seems that there were a few diamonds in the rough, but they harder to find.
Patrick

I'm getting worried. Should we send out the search party to look for Trevor?

He said hi to the CT 3 Thread.  He was a little miffed that he had just bought a custom made acoustic when the bodies showed up, but he'll get over it, and then make a purty one.
Patrick

[quote\when the bodies showed up...[/quote]

They should call it the Jimmy Hoffa. Ever since 1993, pics alone isn't enough to convince me it exsits (Jurassic Park)

Patrick from Davis said:
Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Brace yourselves for a StarBender.
Now I am thinking of fun alternative names.  StarBlazer...
Patrick

"Starf**ker "  :eek: , although I don't think Mick, Ronnie or Keef ever played one...

I did not see anything on the Warmoth or Fender websites.  The BYOG has this, but while it is a step in the right direction, it has a thin & narrow neck making it useless for me.  http://www.byoguitar.com/Guitars/Electric-Guitar-Kit--Carved-Top-Semi-Hollow__BYO-CT-SH2.aspx

BYOG's is 1) set neck and 2) just as much vaporware as Warmoth's. Not In Stock.

I don't pay a lot of attention to bridge mass, but I'd be willing to entertain notions that it might be more important on a hollowbody.

Back