October 2015 Guitar of the Month Contest Submissions

GOM

We are now announcing the October 2015 Guitar of the Month contest!  October's contest will be "Owner/non-professionally Finished" and requires at least a Warmoth neck or body to qualify.

Please read the GOM rules, which have been refined, with some slight changes, and are posted in a sticky in this forum area.

Submissions must be sent, to uwfgom@gmail.com, and contain two images no greater than 1024x768, along with your description and details of the instrument.  Send your submission in plain text email.  Your photos must be attachments to the email.  Your unOfficialWarmoth Forum user name must be included in the body of the email.

In turn, your images will posted to this message, which is October's submission thread.

Submissions will be accepted from now until October 7th, so get your cameras clicking!

As usual, discussion about the submissions can take place below.

Please do not post additional photos in any replies to this thread.  Links to other UW threads or external sites are fine. Links will not be included in the entry descriptions.

Please try to stick to the entry requirements:
1024x768 pixel images maximum as attachments please, not embedded in the email or linked to external sites.

Include your UnOfficialWarmoth Forum user name.

Non-professionally finished instruments this month.

Sorry, but entries that do not meet these requirements may not be included in the contest. If you're having technical difficulties, get in touch!  (But only about contest entries please!)

Good luck, and may the best guitar/bass win!

Guitar #1 by vikingred

Zoso Strat

NECK:
Style: CBS Stratocaster® // Modern Construction
Neck Wood: Maple // Fingerboard Wood: Indian Rosewood
Nut Width: 1-11/16"
Back Shape: Standard thin
Fret Size: SS6115 (Stainless)
Radius: 10-16" Compound // Scale: 25-1/2"
Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt
Pre-Cut Installed String Nut: GraphTech Black TUSQ XL - Standard Nut
Inlays: Cream Face Dots // Side Dots: White Side Dots
Finish: Hand burnished neck shaft, 800-2000 grit sandpaper
Decal: Waterslide decal sandwiched in between spray on Shellac, and then 8 coats of flat lacquer and sanded to "disappear" into finish.
Tuners: Schaller Mini Locking Tuners

BODY:
Model: Stratocaster®
Scale: 25-1/2"
Wood: Alder (unfinished)
Rout: Rear Rout // Pickup Rout: Strat® (Neck), Strat® (Middle), Strat® (Bridge)
Controls: X-T-T-5 (Strat®)
Bridge: Wilkinson Tremolo
Jack Rout: 1/2" (13mm) Side Jack Hole
Contours: Contoured Heel / Tummy Cut / Forearm Contour
Finish: Received unfinished, first I woodburned "ZoSo" in honor of Jimmy Page and then I applied 2 coats of Shellac to seal it, then 2 coats of wipe-on Polyurethane.

ELECTRONICS // PICKUPS:
Pickups: Dawgtown Aged 1964 Alnico A5 handwound single-coil pickups
Controls: Master tone and master volume knob & vintage 5-way switch
Tone Cap: Jensen Copper Foil Paper-in-Oil Cap .047uF 630v

Q9gRlWl.jpg

AMMPSGI.jpg

Guitar #2 by DMRACO

White Korina body and zebra top with p-rails and floyd rose trem,  Stained to match all around.  Poly finish.

Neck is simple maple with rose wood finished with a satin finish all around.  Gotoh tuners.
A very simple guitar with killer tone.

FyIvhaA.jpg

Guitar #3 by Bagman67

The guitar is a half-'Moth consisting of a chambered Warmoth swamp ash body bearing a flame maple laminate top.  I finished the body with water-borne General Finishes dyes.  I dyed the top with the GF Ebony dye and when it dried I sanded it back, leaving the dye only in the pores to emphasize the figuring after color applicarion.  I then applied the GF Amber dye on the entire body, and wiped on GF Brown and Ebony to build up the burst.  The clearcoat is Tru-oil.

I equipped the body with an ebony-on-maple Carvin neck (also finished by me, in Tru-oil), a pre-loaded pickguard with pups from a Fender Eric Johnson Strat, a Wilky VS100 tremolo, gold Planet Waves locking tuners, and Schaller straplocks.  Plays like a dream.

KLjSKvO.jpg

ug4rIZW.jpg

Guitar #4 by Great Ape

Wood-burned & hand-painted with TransTint dyes and Prismacolor dye markers

Body: Spruce on chambered Mahogany
Neck: Ebony on flamed maple, '59 roundback, mop dots, ivoroid binding
Pickups: Duncan P90 & Antiquity brdg hmbkr
Bridge: Bladerunner Trem
Q-Parts Turquoise Stone knobs
Gotoh Tuners

JJ3dlzn.jpg

XVOiaEC.jpg

GOM said:
We are now announcing the October 2015 Guitar of the Month contest!  October's contest will be "Owner/non-professionally Finished" and requires at least a Warmoth neck or body to qualify.

My "professionally Finished" Purple Flake Dinky P for next month then?

Great Ape, I declare and decree that you are one contest win away from being deemed a professional at your craft, and therefore no longer able to enter under this category, but rather upgraded to "Professionally Finished"!

Wow, Great Ape. Just, wow. Every entry so far is damned impressive, but all in different ways. This will be an interesting one!

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
Great Ape, I declare and decree that you are one contest win away from being deemed a professional at your craft, and therefore no longer able to enter under this category, but rather upgraded to "Professionally Finished"!

Oh, pshaww...( Thank you, but my final finishing leaves much to be desired-my ultimate goal is to
actually be patient enough to have Greg Tonar finish one my pieces).

Back