Nylon screws for neck PUP?

jebuff59

Tech question - building a tele from parts. Has anyone used nylon screws , rather than metal, to hang the neck PUP from the pick-guard? (The advantages are they're inexpensive, light, colorfast, won't strip the plastic base plate or scratch the p-g, and are easy to find in the funky tele neck PUP size.) My concern would be if they're robust enough.
If not, I've seen some folks recommend machine screws, others swear by wood screws. Both are sold specifically packaged for this use. Thanks for your thoughts on either or both these questions. .

I've not seen or heard of nylon fasteners being used. The advantages you mention just aren't needed for the application. Generally, the pickup comes with mounting screws and those are what gets used.

The only way to know is give them a try. Worse case you end up swapping them down the road for the usual mountings.

I don't understand the advantages you cited.  Screws are dirt cheap unless you are buying them by the billions. Weight is insignificant. Screws don't scratch pickguards.

Partly aesthetics - black screws on black p-g, partly concerned about stripping the PUP base-plate. partly just to try something new. Cost is not a real issue, of course you're right. The Seymour Duncans are sold with body-mount screws, which I've decided not to do, and it's a new build, so I'll need to source screws of some sort. Came across the nylon option at Home Depot, so wondered... Since I'm an obsessive researcher, just thought I'd look at this very, very minor question.

I'm assuming that the Seymour Duncan neck pickup came with no mounting machine screws, why they do that  :dontknow: anyhow, a set of stratocaster pickup mounting screws and some rubber tubing will do the job.  6-32 * 3/4 " Philips pan head.

jebuff59 said:
Partly aesthetics - black screws on black p-g, partly concerned about stripping the PUP base-plate. partly just to try something new. Cost is not a real issue, of course you're right. The Seymour Duncans are sold with body-mount screws, which I've decided not to do, and it's a new build, so I'll need to source screws of some sort. Came across the nylon option at Home Depot, so wondered... Since I'm an obsessive researcher, just thought I'd look at this very, very minor question.

Nylon screws are bound to look tacky and cheap, but if you can pull it off, go for it. I've been surprised by unorthodox aesthetic choices on several occasions.

Stripping threads is not an issue with metal screws, but I don't know that nylon screws can hold up, given the size of the threads. They will be delicate.

Back