Controls for multi-voiced (Fluence) pickups?

I just don’t like the idea of controlling the voice of one pup with the pots and controlling the other with a toggle. Just seems inelegant to me. I’d rather control both pups with toggles if I have to go down the toggle road.

I just don’t like the idea of controlling the voice of one pup with the pots and controlling the other with a toggle. Just seems inelegant to me. I’d rather control both pups with toggles if I have to go down the toggle road.

Okay, that is possible if you are not married to using the push pulls. Then you would have just the phase inversion pot on one of the volumes.

Perhaps if controlling both pickups rather than using two toggles for each pickup for voice selection and a total of four toggles a pair of toggles would be better with each one controlling the voice selection for its respective pickup. I will perhaps make a simple diagram for a toggle switch voice selection if that would be of help.

Yeah that’s exactly what I was thinking. A 3-way mini toggle for each pup to control the voicing seems most intuitive.

Then that would free up space for a phase inversion p/p pot.

I spent some time researching Fishman this weekend and now I’m also intrigued with the idea of using a piezo bridge. Just to really complicate things :)

So here we are. To adapt this Fishman diagram for toggle switches for the voices.

To adapt this diagram, you would ignore the switching part of the push-pull pots and wire the respective voice wires to toggles as follows.

Toggle switches, either of the type SPDT on-off-on or half of DPDT on-off-on could be used.

The switches in the middle give voice 1. This has to be in the middle.

Bridge pickup voice 2 orange wire to ground.
Switch up (lower terminals)
Bridge pickup voice 3 yellow wire to ground.
Switch down (upper terminals)

Neck pickup voice 2 green wire to ground.
Switch up (lower terminals)
Neck pickup voice 3 blue wire to ground.
Switch down (upper terminals)

Additionally, the black wires on the outside of the push-pull part of the pots shown in the Fishman diagram are grounds, but just shown as attached to the ground part of the switch part of the pot, ground these wires to the back of the pots instead.

Here is how the toggles are wired. A DPDT on-off-on is shown but as only half of it is used a SPDT on-off-on could be used instead if just using pots without push pulls.

Fishman Voice wiring..png

This is fairly simple, in the centre position nothing is connected together via the switch. In the upper or lower position the relevant voice wire is shunted to ground which makes that voice active. Note, however, how these pickups are working internally is different to passive pickup wiring and not equivalent.

For Piezos that is separate to this, of course.

Last edited:
Holy Shazam this is fantastic - thanks @stratamania !

Sure...

So toggles for pup voicing and p/p pot for phase-switching.
Correct
For piezo, I was looking at this "Powerchip": https://www.fishman.com/portfolio/powerchip/
I guess this would be a designated pot for blending pups/piezo? But I don't know where that pot would go (or if that's even how it works).
A powerchip pot is used for going between Piezo and magnetics. Of course, you also need a Piezo bridge.

You would have to forego either one of the volume or tone pots which would mean a further adaptation of the magnetic wiring.

I may need to get a conversation started with Fishman.

Perhaps by now I am owed a free set of pickups.

Back