Not wood but other materials

morx

First of all, this is my first day at this forum. Looks great.

I've just finished my first Warmoth, a LP, Black Corina, lefty of course. Now I'm thinking of what to do next. And here is my plan:

Make a body of aluminium. Using 1/2 inch aluminium and weld this into a hollowbody acoustic, electric guitar. Maybe LP or Tele style. With hollow body, carwing is not necessery. Wiring and pickups like an ordinary LP/Tele, BUT, in addition to this, an active pickup, like in an acoustic guitar, with battery, and a switch to select electric or acoustic (or maybe both)

Comments? Is this possible? Would it work? Have I seen to much 'American Chopper' on DiscoveryChannel..??

i saw a couple fretless basses made out of a single piece of aluminum, i didn't think twice about it until now, but go for it, i'll try to find a few videos.

yup

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=PVVB2OfbBUY[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=wXPACZktOP8[/youtube]

Then I guess anything is possible.

Living 200 miles north of the Arctic circle, it's complete darkness at during the winter. I need something to keep me occupied.

Too much American Chopper I don't think so. Check out the strat that Fender made several years ago. But how would it sound using the same medal for both the body and neck. Shouldn't you use a hollow stainless steel body with an aluminum neck and should the hardware become woodware. Maybe I've read too many posts on this forum O no it's offical I ain't right. Good luck with your build and keep the pictures coming.

:party07:          :headbang:      :hello2:      :help:

I was thinking of hollow a metal body, but a wood-neck from Warmoth of course.. I don't think I have the skills to make a good neck, yet..

Won't you need to do a solid metal block through the middle of the body to machine the neck pocket and the bridge mounting to ensure they stay true?

can you weld aluminum?
honestly it's not to hard(to weld) but very diferent from any other material.
if you've never done it i can give pointers.
if you have i say go for it. i've seen aluminum solid bodies. i don't remember who makes them and wonder if they still sell them.
i'm not sure a hollow body would have a pleasent sound but there is only one way to find out right!

oh and by american chopers you meant motorcycle madness with jesse james right?
as someone from orange county NY who has met the tuttles i'd hate to give advice to a fan of the show. pauly is as big an ass as he apears on the show. a bigger ass even that myself.

I have considered this same idea, a welded and shaped strat body of aluminum, as well as an aluminum bolt on or neck through, whatever is easiest to fabricate, I doubt there would be any benefit to neck through design if using metal parts bolted solidly together,

My thought is, might as well do a bolt on and follow Warmoths layout, so that you could bolt a W neck on or the aluminum neck to a warmoth body.

It's gonna take some fancy thinking, you will probably machine the neck with the correct curve to it, as a truss rod might not be practicle or even work at all.

If you did it all right, and it playes well, and sounds well, there might be a market for it. It sounds like a fun project, and even if not one warmoth part is used we all will love to follow your progress, keep us posted

Here are a couple of interesting alternative material guitars...

metalcarver-guitar.jpg

1dave.jpg
2dave.jpg

-TT-

Made me think of the lucite guitars I've seen.  Didn't Kramer do some lucite bodies with aluminum necks, or at least aluminum headstock?  Also run across a few lucite one-offs.  A strat, and a couple others.  The strat was particularly cool...can't remember where I saw it.

BC Rich also makes those silly acyrlic bodies.  Those, I can do without.

Dan Armstrong!  He was the inventor of the clear lucite guitar.  The more recent reissues were distributed by Ampeg.  They had those cool interchangeable pickup modules too.  And for the fasion concsious, they go with any outfit!

My Brother owns a Gibson Sonex Deluxe. They're made out of something called resonwood.

http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/sonex.php

Brian

TroubledTreble said:
Here are a couple of interesting alternative material guitars...

metalcarver-guitar.jpg

1dave.jpg
2dave.jpg

-TT-

Hmmm... i wonder how hollow aluminum would sound?  aluminum is showing up more and more in speakers and instraments but i'm not totally sold on it. i couldn't imagine a hollowbody sounding very pleasant.
i think a solid body would be cool though. maybe something like a yamaha silent guitar to keep the weight down. or how about magnisium? just keep it away from an open flame.

It's certainly possible.  Be prepared for some hassles with isolating the electical system from the body...I've heard that isolating the pickups can be a bear on this sort of project.

El Jefe said:
It's certainly possible.  Be prepared for some hassles with isolating the electical system from the body...I've heard that isolating the pickups can be a bear on this sort of project.

The whole body is grounded by the jack so the wiring is very easy.

And wtf, this topic is like 1 year old :tard:

Back