not into stratocasters?

tallman

Active member
Messages
96
Because of the enormous quantity of strat builds on this forum, I'm just curious if there is anyone else who finds that the strat simply doesn't appeal to them.  For any reason.

And let's not start a fight, remember it's ok to not be into a guitar for purely subjective reasons.
 

exalted

Senior member
Messages
723
I'm not, really.

Though after getting my first guitar loaded with humbuckers, I find I may enjoy the single coil sound more than I used to think.

Of course, that's what P-90's and telecasters are for.

I'm also not into the Les Paul.  :dontknow:
 

dmraco

Senior member
Messages
4,651
I have built 4 warmonths...no strats.  I guess a soloist is close.  I tend to like humbuckers.  If I want a strat sound, I tap the coil.

Nothing against the strat...I have a charvel San Dimas strat and love it.  I Just have never been a HUGE fender guy.  They feel, play and sound nice, just not to much to look at.  Other may say that about LPs.  G&L on the other hand...build some beautiful guitars.  Just my 2 cents....its good to have choices.
 

mayfly

Senior member
Messages
8,302
As many folks know, I'm not into strats.  Part of this is likely a bias formed in the 70's when I started playing.  New strats back then were just garbage - and that first experience has colored that.  Another part is they are just really thin sounding.  I like guitars with a bit more guts.  Telecasters seem to fit the bill for me perfectly at the moment.
 

taez555

Senior member
Messages
628
Are you refering to strats aesthetically or musically?

I can understand not liking the way they look.  To each their own.  I used to always think tele's were ugly. ("used to" is the key phrase)

As for musically, I think all guitars have a time and place tonally.   Maybe strats don't give you the sound you're looking for, or fit the style of music you play.  If so, great, play what sounds good to you.  Personally I like strats, I think they sound amazingt for certain types of music.  However, if you're talking about versatility, the normal strat can be limited by it's 3 single coils, which is why I built mine with an H-S-H design with tons of coil tapping and swtiches and stuff.

To each their own.  If you hate strats... hate away..  :eek:ccasion14:
 

m4rk0

Senior member
Messages
5,383
Just like there are some men who don't like women, there are also some guitarists, that don't like strats...
I'm not one of them.

:icon_biggrin:
 

kboman

Senior member
Messages
2,378
Yep, that's me. I've never liked the strat - aesthetically (it doesn't look very good), ergonomically (I've never played a more uncomfortable guitar) or sonically (it sounds ok, but it's not useful for me). If I were ever to get a strat-ish guitar I'd do it with a Jazzmaster body from Warmoth, now that is a good looking body shape!

...but then I realise all the good stuff a LP-type guitar does to me and I just forget all about strats :)
 

kboman

Senior member
Messages
2,378
lol! My last post looks really strange ending up right after Marko's post like that - damn you guys are fast  :icon_biggrin:
 

Nick Ellingworth

Senior member
Messages
217
I like the strat but I'd never describe it as a favourite body shape or sound (that goes to the SG) but I built my strat mainly to fill the strat shaped hole in my collection, the next holes I've got to fill are the tele shaped one and the one that needs P90s. ;)

From a playing point of view the strat has the most ergonomic body of any guitar I've played, it feels very natural to use particularly in comparison to something like a Les Paul which to me feels very bulky. Soundwise I like my strat it provides a nice clear tone that I often require for the ambient meanderings I'm prone to.
 

Orpheo

Senior member
Messages
2,766
well, i'm very adamant about this; I hate strats. I don't like the looks, I don't like the sound, I don't like the feel of the body (though I do like the scale length), I don't like the pickups, I don't like the vibe. I want a fat body with lots of growl and lows, smooth and grinding at the same time (at MY command; not the guitar's!), a carved top, 2 fullfat humbuckers with a LOT of output, and an ebony fingerboard, binding, and flashy inlay. aka; a les paul.


I do like telecasters though :)
 

Superlizard

Senior member
Messages
2,514
Orpheo said:
well, i'm very adamant about this; I hate strats. I don't like the looks, I don't like the sound, I don't like the feel of the body (though I do like the scale length), I don't like the pickups, I don't like the vibe. I want a fat body with lots of growl and lows, smooth and grinding at the same time (at MY command; not the guitar's!), a carved top, 2 fullfat humbuckers with a LOT of output, and an ebony fingerboard, binding, and flashy inlay. aka; a les paul.

Translation:

Orpheo said:
I cry myself to sleep at night knowing that I will never realize my full potential without a Strat.

I also learned how to do the Moonwalk a la Michael Jackson... I can even do the "hee hee" part.  I have the hat and single glove to prove it.

 

kboman

Senior member
Messages
2,378
Superlizard said:
Orpheo said:
I also learned how to do the Moonwalk a la Michael Jackson... I can even do the "hee hee" part.  I have the hat and single glove to prove it.

Classic! :D

Although of course moonwalking is pretty cool, Wacko Jacko aside - novelty wardrobe is not compulsory.
 

Orpheo

Senior member
Messages
2,766
Superlizard said:
Orpheo said:
well, i'm very adamant about this; I hate strats. I don't like the looks, I don't like the sound, I don't like the feel of the body (though I do like the scale length), I don't like the pickups, I don't like the vibe. I want a fat body with lots of growl and lows, smooth and grinding at the same time (at MY command; not the guitar's!), a carved top, 2 fullfat humbuckers with a LOT of output, and an ebony fingerboard, binding, and flashy inlay. aka; a les paul.

Translation:

Orpheo said:
I cry myself to sleep at night knowing that I will never realize my full potential without a Strat.

I also learned how to do the Moonwalk a la Michael Jackson... I can even do the "hee hee" part.  I have the hat and single glove to prove it.

no, not really. I think Jackson is a pettyful man who needs to psychiatric help, and I don't have a hat nor gloves. If I put a hat on, I'd be a slash-wannabe, which I'm not; I think slash is a wanker.

strange, why need to translate something, which was written quite clear. maybe you don't really understand english as you thought you did, or as you hoped you did?
 

T.L.

Senior member
Messages
332
I love the Strat (and have one), but I want to build a Soloist (Super-Strat).  

My 3 favorite electric guitar body-styles of all are the Strat, the Soloist, and the Les Paul...
 
Messages
8,318
We like what we like for whatever reason.  I like 'em, but the people I've known who didn't care for them, it had nothing to do with their sound or playability.  They didn't like them because that was the majority of what was out there.  Most everybody played one and they didn't want to be like all of the other "sheep."  Conformity by non-conformity I say.
 

tfarny

Senior member
Messages
4,481
I feel like there is a great strat in my future, but I haven't found it yet - I like the comfort, love the sound of vintage single coils, hate the fact that the trem is almost a requirement and the bridge position pup is usually a waste of time. I also think the stock control layout is dumb and doesn't take advantage of the sound possibilities from three pups. Looks wise, they're not the most exciting but there's something to be said for tradition.
 

kboman

Senior member
Messages
2,378
tfarny said:
Looks wise, they're not the most exciting but there's something to be said for tradition.

All right, this comes up now and again in various discussions, so let's poke at it with more determination this time: exactly what is it than can be said for tradition, in the context of the strat? I'm genuinely curious and I don't mean that question to sound aggressive.
 

Orpheo

Senior member
Messages
2,766
kboman said:
tfarny said:
Looks wise, they're not the most exciting but there's something to be said for tradition.

All right, this comes up now and again in various discussions, so let's poke at it with more determination this time: exactly what is it than can be said for tradition, in the context of the strat? I'm genuinely curious and I don't mean that question to sound aggressive.

good question. why do you have to go with the vintage-correct-flow, whilst there are endless options for a great-strattone without the stratproblems? I don't mind the trem, but I do mind the control layout; I love the les paul layout, but thats not doable on a strat; just move those pots out of my way, and its a whole lot better.
 
Top