Non-unique choice Koa quality?

MikeD

The unique choice Koa tops look nice, no doubt.  But don't really want to shell out another $300 just to make a pick, and I don't need anything super flamed.  Has anyone ordered a non-unique Koa top, and how was the quality?  The one they've got in the showroom right now hardly looks like Koa.

You talking about that Soloist body? I agree that isn't the best example of Koa I've ever seen, and the Satin finish isn't doing it any favors. However, you have to keep in mind you're looking at a showcase that is about a fifth of it's normal size. Ordinarily there would be many more Koa tops in there, and you would have a better representation of what the range of standard Koa looks like.

And that's the thing: Koa varies A LOT in appearance compared to something like Flame Maple. For that reason, I would always go Unique Choice with it. That's not to say the standard Koa is sub-par in any way. Just that with Koa and certain other woods (Zebrawood, Walnut, Pau Ferro, e.g.), I would always want to see them first.

I figured Koa might have a unique answer. I know I've been really happy with non-blacked ebony boards I've gotten being mostly black with some character, and of course BK is almost always gorgeous without having it picked. But it's almost literally apples and oranges.
20130219220703-servingplatter.jpg

mjxicjc.jpg

For what it's worth, this koa-on-mahogany body was a screamin' deals purchase I made some years back.  YMMV and as Aaron remarked, there's HUGE variation in what koa can look like.

7812145516_3721014b25_b.jpg

The Aaron said:
You talking about that Soloist body? I agree that isn't the best example of Koa I've ever seen, and the Satin finish isn't doing it any favors. However, you have to keep in mind you're looking at a showcase that is about a fifth of it's normal size. Ordinarily there would be many more Koa tops in there, and you would have a better representation of what the range of standard Koa looks like.

And that's the thing: Koa varies A LOT in appearance compared to something like Flame Maple. For that reason, I would always go Unique Choice with it. That's not to say the standard Koa is sub-par in any way. Just that with Koa and certain other woods (Zebrawood, Walnut, Pau Ferro, e.g.), I would always want to see them first.

Thanks for the reply, Aaron. You're not making it any easier, lol, but I do get your point.  In the Warmoth Loves Koa video you shot, would all those examples you showed be in the unique choice grade?  Or by chance you could get one of those randomly selected by the builder?  I think ultimately I will go the unique choice route, it's just an expensive pill to swallow. 

MikeD said:
Thanks for the reply, Aaron. You're not making it any easier, lol, but I do get your point.  In the Warmoth Loves Koa video you shot, would all those examples you showed be in the unique choice grade?  Or by chance you could get one of those randomly selected by the builder?  I think ultimately I will go the unique choice route, it's just an expensive pill to swallow.

Wow...that one was a long time ago. I had to go back and review it.

These days I think anything with figuring is going to be UC only. There was one lamtop in the video that did not have any flame, but had some colorful grain, and that might be something you would get as a regular Koa top from the builder. If the current Soloist body represents the low end of the range, that piece might represent the top end. BUT...I can't make any promises as to what yours might look like when you order. It's simply the luck of the draw.

Koa is one of those woods that is rapidly getting very expensive, and the nice flamed pieces in particular are also getting harder to find. I'd say if it's something you want, it's never going to get cheaper. Buy once, cry once, and enjoy it for the rest of your life.

Did that make it any easier?  :evil4:

Wow...that one was a long time ago. I had to go back and review it.

These days I think anything with figuring is going to be UC only. There was one lamtop in the video that did not have any flame, but had some colorful grain, and that might be something you would get as a regular Koa top from the builder. If the current Soloist body represents the low end of the range, that piece might represent the top end. BUT...I can't make any promises as to what yours might look like when you order. It's simply the luck of the draw.

Koa is one of those woods that is rapidly getting very expensive, and the nice flamed pieces in particular are also getting harder to find. I'd say if it's something you want, it's never going to get cheaper. Buy once, cry once, and enjoy it for the rest of your life.

Did that make it any easier? :evil4:

Buy once cry once is right and these are very good words to live by. Rock on Aaron! :cool: 🎸

Back